DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   electric fans (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/107305-electric-fans.html)

96ram5.9_5speed 05-22-2007 10:42 AM

electric fans

has anyone here ever switched to electric fans? i want to be able to set the rad and ac cond. back in a little bit in order to allow the winch that i plan to put into be able to sit back a little bit. i was wondering if you had any over heating issues or what size fans you used. and also where you mounted the washer and coolant bottle. i was planning on using some twin fans that i got from a wrecked car at my shop and did not want to really have to modify anything so that if the fans dont pull enough air to keep the temp down i could return to the origional setup till i get some bigger fans
thanks guys

mopowar 05-22-2007 01:54 PM

RE: electric fans

I am running electric fans and have had no issues at all except for the choice I made to use old starter solenoids as the feed relay. Hottest it's gotten here was ~ 90*. I used two 16" 2750 cfmfans and bolted them to a center bracket and used some small brackets that I fabbed to attatch the ends where the shroud used to bolt up. I did not worry about a shroud since the fans themselves cover a good bit more than the recommended 60%. I got the fans for ~$40 each off of ebay. The controllers were ~$20 each from Summit. I am using a $6 40 amp relay I bought at Autozone. I was originally using the older style starter solenoid, but apparently they are not designed for continuous duty. I burned two of them up. I spent about ~$20 in miscellanous hardware, wire, connectors, etc. For the windshield washer fluid resevoir, I used the old overflow,drilled it out for the pump, and installed up beside the battery. The overflow is now just that... an overflow -2.5' of rubber hose. If you want, I can post up some pic's a little later.

RamManRiley 05-22-2007 02:29 PM

Please do i would love to see the pics.

mopowar 05-22-2007 07:39 PM

Tried to get bracket top and bottom where it goes into slot, bracket rubber wrap to shield radiator from bolt chafe,old overflow/new washer resevoir with pump, and the control box.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29576/62AE3B3BE08141768552A240E8E71F99.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29576/DEC9F06FDBBE4AA393DC34D6F3B6D7D3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29576/59D95180E9AB4BF6B966283C1A9F66C3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29576/49C456A1BBA645D6A2A7EE99F61BA99B.jpg[/IMG]

shott8283 05-22-2007 09:03 PM

mopower.. is that alumninum block withthe black dials your controller? i deffantly need a link or info onthat peice .. please!

this is my setup

very similar to mopowers but i went with a steel shroud/frame (gonna either delete it or build an alum. one as soon as i get my spoolmate gun) and im currently using two 100 amp start selenoids that havent given me problems yet.. but will be switching over to 40amp relats soon (cleaner looking and easier to hide)

http://home.rochester.rr.com/shott82...s/IMG_1001.JPG

mcss8541 05-22-2007 11:06 PM

I recently installed a Flex-a-Lite twin electric fan setup ( Flex-a-lite prt# 295). Setup was easy and the kit comes with everything and has an adjustable thermostat setting. All brackets, wiring, fuses, etc is included. The first thing you do is to remove the fan and fanclutch in order to remove the shroud. Remove the coolant over flow bottle and windshield fluid bottle from the shroud and set aside. nce everything is removed then position the fan where you want it on the rad. There is some pre setup wiring and you have to drill a couple of feed holes but it's easy. I have a 3" body lift in addition to my 6" suspension lift so I positioned mine a little lower on the rad to compensate. Now the wiring is easy however I had to find the correct "hot" wire for the A/C clutch and it is the black/white wire that you will tap into. Also when inserting the temp prob into the fins of the rad make sure you have a good line of sight and go betweeen the tubes so you don't damage them causing a leak and needing a new rad.There is plenty of wire to complete the job. I couldn't find a "switched" fuse under the hood so I ran that wire into the cab via the firewall grommet and tapped into one of the fuses there. This job takes about 2hrs to do and if you don't have an extra set of hands to hold the fan while you set up the brackets, find the center point of the fan and use a coat hanger or some old wire and wrap it around the center dividing piece and hang it on the hood latch in front of the rad. I don't recommend hanging the fan setup on the radiator itself as a support there are many ways to do it and I'll send some pics on how I did mine. As far as the over flow bottle I got 2 heavy duty zip ties and zip tied it to the rad through the old fan shroud mounting screw slots and did the same on the other side for the washer bottle using the fan brackets for support. I love this fan setup because 1 fan sits in the upper right corner an the other sits in the lower left and it's a 1 piece unit. It's light weight and I saw immediate gains in hp, torque, and MPG. I got mine through www.4wheelparts.combecause they have the best price on this fan. If you call ask for Leon at ext 5110 tell him Nicco from El Campo, TX sent you. Take care and good luck.

mopowar 05-23-2007 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: shott8283

mopower.. is that alumninum block withthe black dials your controller? i deffantly need a link or info onthat peice .. please!

this is my setup

very similar to mopowers but i went with a steel shroud/frame (gonna either delete it or build an alum. one as soon as i get my spoolmate gun) and im currently using two 100 amp start selenoids that havent given me problems yet.. but will be switching over to 40amp relats soon (cleaner looking and easier to hide)

http://home.rochester.rr.com/shott82...s/IMG_1001.JPG
It not Aluminum. It's a pvc two gang weatherproof box, and a pvc two gang wp cover that I drilled out to accomodate the tstats. I'm an electrical contractor, so I had the stuff lying around, but you could pick both up at Lowes or HD for ~$5 total. If you go this route: The boxes that I had at the shop were all standard depth. They make a deep box (~3.5" instead of ~2.25") that would have made it alot easier.

If you have the solenoids wired to the load side of the tstats you should be fine for a while. I was using one so that the fans didn't run while the truck was off. I just don't think a starter solenoid is designed to be continuously energized.

BTW- Thanks for posting up the ebay fan link way back when. Those are the ones I'm using.

shott8283 05-23-2007 12:33 AM

im gladd you were able to get them fans.. im liking them so far as well.. well over a year.. hell almost two years come this fall.. they do draw alot .. i clamped them out and startup was around 50 a peice but running were 25 total... not bad. (thats IIRC,,its been awhile.. should shoot them again to make sure they arent starting to seize or slow up from moisture)

man that box had me foold.. thought it was an aluminum one .. lol... so where do you have your rad. probes? i have one on the top left (inlet) and lower right (outlet) so with this configureation i have on stat on one side of the rad and the other on the other side of the rad since the probe "metal wire" wasnt long enough and i didnt think that i could cut that and lengthen it.. who knows whats inside of it.. its almost like a hollow solder..

anyway..

thanks alot man!

96ram5.9_5speed 05-23-2007 01:15 AM

so has anyone tried the thermostatic controlled ones? i think im readin this right that all of you used the type that is controlled by the rad probe then again i could be completely off base but assuming that im on the right track here and if anyone did use the thermostatic switch which one on the intake did you take out? there is one with 2 connections on it and one with one connection on it, atleast for my truck and thanks for all the replies they were helpful

lv360ram 05-23-2007 01:48 AM

mopowar,
your fan pics show the tubes (I assume) for your cold air/ram air setup, wow!
A few pics of the tubes getting tothe front bumper and the air cleaner would be much appreciated!