DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Carburetor and hissing noise (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/117132-carburetor-and-hissing-noise.html)

geekydude 07-26-2007 11:46 PM

Carburetor and hissing noise

Hello all, glad to have this forum for help. Recently purchased a 96 Dodge Ram pickup last week. Was wondering about a hissing noise coming from the carburetor. I dropped by a mechanic shop earlier today and the gent there told me that the noise was the carb sucking air. Sounds like a hiss to me and it ismore pronounced when the a/c is on, especially when I step on the gas. Definitely a shrilly-type noise. Is this noise normal?Thanks for your response.

95ramdan 07-27-2007 12:08 AM

RE: Carburetor and hissing noise

First of all never go back to that mechanic if he thinks your truck has a carb. Second the noise is most likely an air gap between your throttle body (carb for your mechanic) and the air box. I would check the gasket there or see if the box is loose.

geekydude 07-27-2007 12:25 AM

Thanks 95. Not familiar with this truck and still learning. I assumed it hada carb, now I know it doesn't. Will look intofix.

98RamSport360 07-27-2007 08:42 AM

I have this same problem; fortunately I know where mine is leaking. I was changing the air cleaner and the gasket that seals the throttle body to the air cleaner broke once I removed it and put it back together I had the hiss. If you bought your truck use you may be missing that gasket. If not please keep us posted as to what it is.

Ray

geekydude 07-27-2007 11:21 PM

Wanted to let you guys know that the gasket solved the problem. I took the air cleaner off to find that it didn't have an air intake gasket. I went to the parts store to pick upthegasket,gothomeand put it in, and problem solved. The truck was bought used. Thanks guys, appreciate it. https://dodgeforum.com/micons/m16.gifPPuurrss like a kitty cat now. Now to solve my door lock problem but that's for another thread.

Cereal Killer 07-27-2007 11:50 PM

whats wrong with your door lock?

geekydude 07-28-2007 12:15 AM

The driver's side door will not lock. I can hear the mechanism trying to work but it wont. The passenger side works fine. I searched the forum for others who hadthis similiar problem. From what Igather, it's probably thedriver's side door lock switch. Someone also recommendedsprayingdoor partswith lubricant; probably try that beforebuying the switch.

pcfixerpro 07-28-2007 08:54 AM

So... why would you gather that it would be the switch? If you push the switch, and you hear the mechanism trying to move... to me that would me that the switch is working properly. Try your wd-40 first, but I would say to remove the door panel and watch what happens and you hit the switch. Is it possible your motor is going bad? next time you hit the unlock button, put you hand on the unlock thing... (haha i cant think of what its called.. the thing that is supposed to rise up when you hit the switch) and give it a little assistance and see if you feel any push. If you feel a little push, the motor may be weak. This is all just a suggestion, and i am sure someone else on this fourm would be able to give you a better diagnosis. The bottom line is, to me...if you hear something moving when you hit the switch, it's probably working.

pcfixerpro

WayneC 07-28-2007 04:51 PM

Yeah, not the switch if you can hear clicking. You have a faulty/weak/corroded lock (actuator) hehe. Sray it down with some electrical cleaner 1st and see if that helps. Next step would be replacement. I'm sure the visual will reveal more than the audio this time.
WC

98RamSport360 07-29-2007 01:55 PM

(Wanted to let you guys know that the gasket solved the problem.)

That is good to hear, replacing that gasket should have been a cheap and simple fix a lot better then chasing other leaks in the throttle body.

As for your door lock if you can hear the mechanism work I would guess that is not your problem. Now if that truck has been in an accident or somebody was in that door fixing something else. It could have knock the mechanism off its plastic mounts, so it would not have anything to push against to do its job. It would just hang there and move in the air. I had this happen when my truck was hit. Good luck and please let us know what you find out.

Ray