2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

True Duals on 01 Ram 1500 2WD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
MWarfel95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals on 01 Ram 1500 2WD?

Hey guys,

I have an 01 Ram 1500 (2WD) with a 5.2 in it. Right now I'm running a Y-pipe with no muffler and just 2 cats. I have dual exhaust that run straight out the back.

I've been wanting to make it louder than it already is, but I can't decide if I want to put true duals on it or if it's even worth it. I figure if I did decide to do it, I'd get them going out at 45s and maybe get 5x24s.

I'm just looking for some advice on what I should do.

Here's a video from a couple years ago when my brother had the truck. It still sounds the same today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soP3duGVBIY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks,
Max

Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Loud is a factor of the muffler, more than anything else. "worth it" is up to you... If there is a shop that does custom exhaust near you, have a chat with 'em, and see what they would charge. Bear in mind, that if they write you a receipt, they will need to install cats as well.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

This is interesting as i assumed no muffler would be about as loud as you could get....and that any muffler would do exactly that...muffle the sound a bit...I have true duals with side dumps, each pipes exits on its relative side, no cats, series 40 flowmasters...and its LOUD...again ida thought none at all would be even louder...what size pipe are you running...bet if you increased the diameter of the pipe you get more resonance and would sound deeper and perhaps louder.

If you ditch the cats it would definitely be louder but i cant suggest this as its illegal in most states.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

I had my new magnaflow y pipe put on and I almost have a full 3" exhaust: 2.5" from manifolds to y pipe, 3" y pipe to muffler and 2.5" out the back w/ 4" tips. SI/DO super 10. My truck was loud before and still is but with the new y pipe it lost 3/4 of the crackle it had and now has a lil bit louder, deep tone to it. You want something loud? Those true dual straights with 5" tips will give you a headache for as long as you have gas in your truck. That is stupid loud, guy I knew had it on his 360 and nothing close but open headers at truck pulls would get close to his noise level.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

headers and 3in thrush pipe all the way back with 5x16 tips it will be anoying and very loud

or headers collectors sidepipes

Last edited by h3lzsn1p3r; 01-10-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want it louder, dumping the cats will make a huge difference. Pair that with a 2-chamber muffler of sorts and the truck will be LOUD but still maintain a deep note. True duals won't make much difference sound or performance wise.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM
MWarfel95

Originally Posted by baileysoffroad
This is interesting as i assumed no muffler would be about as loud as you could get....and that any muffler would do exactly that...muffle the sound a bit...I have true duals with side dumps, each pipes exits on its relative side, noj cats, series 40 flowmasters...and its LOUD...again ida thought none at all would be even louder...what size pipe are you running...bet if you increased the diameter of the pipe you get more resonance and would sound deeper and perhaps louder.

If you ditch the cats it would definitely be louder but i cant suggest this as its illegal in most states.
Right now I have 4x18s. I've thought about 5x24s, but I'm not sure how it'd look with them running straight out the back. Plus I want to make sure it'll actually make it louder.

What I really want is to make it throatier like my buddy's F150. He's running true duals with 5x24s and it pops like hell when he gets on it. I'm just tired of having it not sound quite as bada** as my friend's trucks.

Max

Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

install a big block, dual exhaust with an h pipe, single chamber mufflers, and you will have the most bad-*** sounding truck on the block.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

I agree with HeyYou lol or you could run straight pipes with that BB. Everyone says my truck is flippin loud even the guys with true dual straight pipes. And besides Dodge always has the best sounding trucks so don't worry bout sounding like some hunk of junk Ford I think your truck sounds awesome already, instead of doing true duals why don't you just put headers on there? I'd think thatd be a better route to go.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

ahhhhh...I can remember the days of wanting nothing more than LOUDER!!! I put duals on my Camaro with a 350 in high school....cut the cat out and had true duals with some sort of performance mufflers...but I wanted LOUDER so I cut the mufflers out and welded in pieces of pipe....man it was obnoxiously loud then....so loud I got pulled over and ticketed for improper equipment or something like that.....so glad I have outgrown that phase. Like someone else said on here, if your going to make your truck stupid loud, make sure you have stupid fast to back it up. Otherwise it's just obnoxious. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a V8 like monster trucks, race cars, etc....but when you hear one of those, you know it's got the power to back up the sound. Maybe I'm too old for this forum, seems like all anyone wants to do is make their truck louder...thread after thread..."How do I make my truck louder?"........lol...Just my 2 cents. Rock on brothers.

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-11-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: True Duals on 01 Ram 1500 2WD?