DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Switched to Royal Purple finally (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/123155-switched-to-royal-purple-finally.html)

IndyRamMan 09-05-2007 09:40 AM

Switched to Royal Purple finally

I switched to royal purple (synth. obviously) oil last night. I dont want to sound like a 14 yr old that doesnt know a thing about cars and thinks that everything adds 600 hp, but I will say that I noticed a diffrence. My motor runs very smooth now, extreemly smooth actually. I notice when reving up its seamless rather than having a rough transitionbetween the lower rpmsand thesmoother top end, its just smooth all arround; which I feel actually helped to increase my low end power ever so slightly. I dont know all that much about the how the shortblock works in within itself, but Im theorising that I may have had slight blow by, and the synth helped to swell the rings a minute bit to help cure the problem. Anyone have any ideas on that? Anyways, If you are contemplating going with synthetic, I would second your notion.

rtmorrisjr 09-05-2007 01:39 PM

RE: Switched to Royal Purple finally

I also switched to royal purple (about 3k ago) and i too noticed a small difference. I really noticed it in the oil pressure guage. It comes up quicker and is at about 5 psi more then w/ the regular oil (running about 65 psi which is normal). It just flows better, like any other synthetic oil, which allows the motor to oporate better. But, what are you using in the tranny and the diff. i want to go syn with those as well, but i dont think royal purple has any tranny fluid for our trucks. Can you use royal purple gear oil (in the diff) as long as you add the additive?

Cereal Killer 09-05-2007 01:55 PM

I felt the same thing whenever I switched to Amsoil Indy. It's not in your head.

heybuddy1901 09-05-2007 02:29 PM

i got 5 quarts of RP MAX-ATF sitting next to me =]]

gonna change mine next week when i have access to the lift at my school =]

IndyRamMan 09-05-2007 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

I felt the same thing whenever I switched to Amsoil Indy. It's not in your head.
lol good to know that.

ORIGINAL: rtmorrisjr

I also switched to royal purple (about 3k ago) and i too noticed a small difference. I really noticed it in the oil pressure guage. It comes up quicker and is at about 5 psi more then w/ the regular oil (running about 65 psi which is normal). It just flows better, like any other synthetic oil, which allows the motor to oporate better. But, what are you using in the tranny and the diff. i want to go syn with those as well, but i dont think royal purple has any tranny fluid for our trucks. Can you use royal purple gear oil (in the diff) as long as you add the additive?
im running regular oils but before long im going to switch to synth in them as well. Royal purple makes gear oil, and trans fluid. Idk if they make type 4 atf or not though. Check out their website or summit

RM_Indy 09-05-2007 11:17 PM

Synthetic in the motor, tranny and diff will give about 3-4rwhp increase ;)

2k10HemiRam 09-06-2007 04:54 AM

I'll be switching my motor oil over to royal purple in about 9-10 hours...sometime between the time I wake up and go to work.

Alright, it's switched.

IndyRamMan 09-06-2007 10:11 AM

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

Synthetic in the motor, tranny and diff will give about 3-4rwhp increase ;)
is that true or is the wink sarcasim?

hometheaterman 09-06-2007 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: rtmorrisjr

I run Royal Purple gear oil along with motor oil in my truck. It seems to do fine. The gear oil already has the additive for a LSD so you don't need to add it.

1998 Ram Sport 09-06-2007 05:01 PM

What oil did you guys use exactly? What is the number for it?