DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   removal of metal tube in water pump? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/127849-removal-of-metal-tube-in-water-pump.html)

IndyRamMan 10-08-2007 08:55 AM

removal of metal tube in water pump?

How do you get the metal tube out of the old water pump without damaging it?

Off_Road_Teacher 10-08-2007 10:36 AM

RE: removal of metal tube in water pump?

When I did mine I just had to twist it. The only thing that was really holding it in was the o-ring.

Bouncer88 10-08-2007 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Off_Road_Teacher

When I did mine I just had to twist it. The only thing that was really holding it in was the o-ring.
+1

19ramslt98 10-08-2007 01:00 PM

when i did mine it was so rusted that it broke off inside the old water pump, it was late and i had some jb weld in my tool box..... still leak free 10,000 miles ago

IndyRamMan 10-08-2007 01:08 PM

I have a feeling mine is gonna be like 19 ramslt98 :(

Oh also, my timing chain gasket set didnt come with that rubber piece on the bottom, Do I reuse that?

Ramdamit98 10-08-2007 02:23 PM

If I remember correctly the tube is notched/slotted atthe end so you need to twist it like 90 degrees (counter clockwise I think) and then it should just pull out. It'll probably have some build up on it so a little wiggling while pulling hopefully should beak it free. As stated above it's just an o-ring sealing it

Sirhilton17 10-08-2007 02:37 PM

Just twist it...

Mine broke off, leaving some in the water pump, I just took a drill, hooked on to the peice and out it came...

HankL 10-09-2007 07:37 AM

A common problem with the 1994+ Magnum water is the metal tube return line from the heater. In addition to it freezing in place due to corrosion, there is also a problem with corrosion making it nearly impossible to keep from leaking later after it has been re-inserted with a new o-ring even if the o-ring was properly lubricated prior to insertion.

You can try soaking the water pump in the cleaning product you can buy in supermarkets called 'CLR' which stands for Calcium, Lime and Rust cleaner.

I remember reading one post where a Ram owner fixed the leak after he replaced his Magnum water pump by coating the top of the metal tube where it inserts into the water pump with 'Plumber's Bronze' with a a glue like material filled with metal particles.

Another option is to replace the water pump with one from the 1992-1993 model year Magnum 5.2V8 which had back then a conventional screw in heater tube return line. See archived post below:
------

Posted by 96Ram2500 on *odgetrucks.org from Northern MN:

" I have researched the heater fitting issue and have found a replacement for
the press in tube with the o-ring. I work at a NAPA and mentioned this in
another thread a couple days ago, but I wanted to get good solid research in.

The water pumps on a early Magnum (92-93) have a threaded heater fitting and
are the same both in height of pulley and mounting pattern. They are also the
correct rotation on the impeller.

Here are some part numbers, whether you have a press on or bolt on pulley:

NAPA part#
58-447- bolt on pulley, threaded heater fitting

58-559-pressed on pulley, threaded heater fitting

I looked both of these pumps up for a 92-93 Dakota with a 318.
Both are rebuilts for about 50-60$.
Just thought I would satisfy some curiousity.
end of cross post

IndyRamMan 10-09-2007 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: HankL

A common problem with the 1994+ Magnum water is the metal tube return line from the heater. In addition to it freezing in place due to corrosion, there is also a problem with corrosion making it nearly impossible to keep from leaking later after it has been re-inserted with a new o-ring even if the o-ring was properly lubricated prior to insertion.

You can try soaking the water pump in the cleaning product you can buy in supermarkets called 'CLR' which stands for Calcium, Lime and Rust cleaner.

I remember reading one post where a Ram owner fixed the leak after he replaced his Magnum water pump by coating the top of the metal tube where it inserts into the water pump with 'Plumber's Bronze' with a a glue like material filled with metal particles.

Another option is to replace the water pump with one from the 1992-1993 model year Magnum 5.2V8 which had back then a conventional screw in heater tube return line. See archived post below:
------

NAPA part#

end of cross post

thats a good idea, but thats assuming i have a threaded heater fitting at my disposal. Im not going 20 miles to the boneyard for a little heater fitting. Im gonna try the clr first.

Gary-L 10-09-2007 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: HankL

------

NAPA part#

end of cross post

Glad I know this *AFTER* I replaced my waterpump [:@]

*EDIT*

The part number for the press-on pulley does not show up at NAPA's website.