DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Sluggish at low RPM (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/12881-sluggish-at-low-rpm.html)

Silver_Dodge 11-09-2004 06:09 PM

Sluggish at low RPM

I own a 1999 5.2L Ram 1500 ExtCab 4x4 with 50,000 miles. I have always thought it seemed a bit sluggish in the lower rpm ranges. I installed an Airaid cold air intake system. That seemed to help some, but I still feel it is a bit sluggish and slow to respond. What else can I do to improve the off-line power and response?

When I asked the local Dodge dealer about this, they said I should get an injector/intake cleaning ($150 at the local Dodge service center). Do you think this would help?
The Airaid intake is currently the only performance upgrade I have installed. Would a larger throttle body help? What other upgrades might help?

I plan to do a cat-back exhaust upgrade, and maybe headers. I'm sure that would help too, but I just want to make sure there is not something else that can/should be done before I put those upgrades on.

Thanks

doziersdodge 11-09-2004 06:43 PM

RE: Sluggish at low RPM

Consider a new cat. conv. From what I hear they do clog up and cause sluggish performance. I am either going with no cat or high-flow.

GMsucks 11-09-2004 06:56 PM

If your cat is clogged w/ only 50,000 mi. you have some SERIOUS problems.

Reorg 11-09-2004 07:03 PM

Why not change your gears out? I don't know what you're running nor your tire diameter, but I do know that 4.10s and 4.56s will definitely get rid of the sluggish issue.

Silver_Dodge 11-09-2004 08:07 PM

I'm not sure what gears I have, but they are stock. I have 265's on stock rims. I plan to go to 285's though. Will that make my problem worse?

GMsucks 11-09-2004 08:25 PM

In a word, Yes.

purdueranger 11-09-2004 10:07 PM

I would get cat-back exhaust kit. This will help get more air out. A TB would help out too. Also look into getting a performance PCM or a chip. You can also run a can of fuel injector cleaner and also clean out your throttle body.

kevro7 11-10-2004 01:22 AM

i've got about the same problem. its not real bad, but it doesn't get up and go like i think it should. the difference is that i have the cat-back, the superchips, and the intake. my truck has 138000 miles. when i get some money, the cat and TB will be next and hopefully will help. I'd love to change out the stock 3.55 gears to 4.10s but defineately don't have the money for that. if you find something that really seems to do the trick, let me know.

kevin

doziersdodge 11-10-2004 12:31 PM

Is the chip or the programmer a better route?

Silver_Dodge 11-10-2004 02:41 PM

I have heard that messing with the chip might make performance seem better at certain times, but that you might actually lose performance at other times when you really need it (like when you tow or haul a heavy load). Is this true?

I am mechanically inclined, so how difficult is it to do the gear change? What's involved?

How expensive was it for anyone who has done it?

Thanks