2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

squeak fixed - auto trans shifter linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default squeak fixed - auto trans shifter linkage

this has been driving me crazy. it had 2 different noises. when you shut the drivers door it would sort of rattle under the truck, about where the suspension arms are. when you drove slow, it was a sort of deep squeak. at a dead stop it would sometimes squeak and sometimes not. it squeaked more in Drive than it did in Park. when you got out by yourself and try to find it, it would always quit.

just by accident, while closing the hood, i gave it a side to side wiggle and got it to squeak. so i got my son to wiggle it while i crawled around underneath. A-HA. there is a horizontal rod that is part of the shifter linkage that has plastic looking bushings at each end. ERK ERK ERK ERK ERK ERK. white litium grease grease grease and now....... quiet..... ahhhh !

hope this helps someone.
doug

Old 12-31-2006, 12:19 AM
gta91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: squeak fixed - auto trans shifter linkage

I have had a similar noise in my truck, since brand new..

I am not sure if I would discribe it as a squeek, or a quick rattle.. But I only hear it sometimes. Mostly while in park, and when the vehicle is not moving...

As you stated, I tried to get out of the vehicle to hear the noise, and it would go away..

I am going to look at that linkage you discribed this eve...

I wonder why I have been hearing this since new though... and again,, seems more like a quick rattling noice, or quick clunking noise..

I can in no way recreate this, it just happens when it wants.. I try to troubleshoot.. and it goes away..

Anyway... I will check the linkage..

Karl

Old 10-31-2007, 08:46 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

I have the same issue that dhvaughan describes, I think? I white lithium greased the hell out of it and it still squeaks in anything but Park, and sometimes in park. I noticed I was missing the wave washer for the rear shift rod.

I spent over $300 trying to solve this squeak, mostly new belts, pulleys, and tensioner, even had a shop stethoscope the front of the motor to find the squeak. The shop replaced the belt, number 3 in a month.

I don't think its the belt, the squeak doens't change pitch or speed as the motor RPMs change.

My only other thought on this is that it could be the fan clutch assembly. The fan wiggles back/forth a little, but I have no clue if that's normal.
What am I missing????

Old 10-31-2007, 10:48 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional

Can I take the engine fan off and run the engine for a couple minutes to see if that's the squeak?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can run it without the fan, just watch your coolant temp.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:23 AM
kstroeher
Professional

Mine had the steering squuek since new too. Luckily my dealership knew where to look right away and fixed it. Whatever they did seemed to have fixed it permanantly.

Hey Copper, you should not be able to wiggle your fan like that, sounds like you need a fan clutch.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:02 AM
CopperDesigno
Professional

Thanks guys. I don't need to run it ong without a fan, just to verify the squeak is gone or not.

Quick Reply: squeak fixed - auto trans shifter linkage