2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum leak

I know this has probably been done to death, but the search engine on this site isn't working for me lately. (its a computer issue on my end) Anyway, I was installing my new throttle body so I took a look into the intake manifold. I've got what looks like alot of crusted old oilall over the inside along with it being crusted to the bottom of my old TB butterflys. At the bottom tword the back of the intake it looks semi-damp. I'm guessing the crusted brown oil is not normal and I have a leaking plenum gaskit on my hands. This is my first dodge so I just wanted some verifacation that I am right.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Plenum leak

Probably, butI never seen crusty oil. Usually it just pools in the lowest spot in the intake. Crusty might mean you had an air leak as well and were pulling dirt in, or possibly your oil pool was much higher at some pont ans you've burned a bit of it off.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 PM
WTL
Professional

After a while you are going to get some oily crust deposits on the bottom of the plenum pan, that doesnt by itself indicate a plenum leak. You are looking for pooling of oil. If you have a leak its going to pull pure oil in from the top of the engine, not "gradoo".

That said, I had a borderline issue once where I decided there was just enough oil pooling and I did the fix. It allowed me to discover what my real problems were when I started pulling things off, so I guess I was better off.

And there is a way to test to see if the Plenum is leaking, but I'll let someone else explain it cause I could never get it quite right. Had to do with checking one of the vac lines coming from the manifold.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Probably, butI never seen crusty oil. Usually it just pools in the lowest spot in the intake. Crusty might mean you had an air leak as well and were pulling dirt in, or possibly your oil pool was much higher at some pont ans you've burned a bit of it off.
You are correct I did have an air leak. I pulled the airbox off about 3 weeks ago and thats when I realized the guy that owed it before me had broken two tabs off the back of the box and cracked the bottom. I guess I just didn't think that would cause all that gunk. thanks.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:55 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

Anyone else have an oppinion to share? All information is welcome. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Plenum leak