2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

flush radiator

Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
98Woo2500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flush radiator

what is the right way to flush out your radiator?

Old 12-17-2007, 05:09 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: flush radiator

I don't know about right... but I like to use th prestone flush kit. It's cheap (~7 bucks). It allows you to hook up a garden hose to your cooling system and flush the hell out of it. It's called the flush and fill kit... look here: http://www.prestone.com/products/accessories.php

It also has a decent set of instructions on how to flush as well.

I would just like to point out that you should try and capture and properly dispose of the antifreeze that is currently in there. I usually drain it into a 5 gal bucket and take it to a radiator shop.

Don't worry about capturing the fluid that comes out while you flush. It will be heavily diluted.

I would also recommend mixing your own antifreeze mix. It ends up being a little bit cheaper - plus you can mix it to whatever percentage you want. I usually use 70% AF, 30% water.

Make sure when you fill the radiator in the end, you use distilled water. It will help prevent scale build up.

Good luck!
Cartman.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
98Woo2500
Professional

thanx for the info....

Old 12-17-2007, 09:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you do this, crawl under the truck and look beside the motor mounts on each side for a small 1/2 inch or so pipe plug. they may be hard to get out. these drain the block, and drain out another gallon or so of coolant.

also, locate the heater hoses that go from the front of the engine on each side to the passenger side firewall. your prestone flush kit will tell you to cut one of these hoses and splice in the hose connection. buy a second splice pipe and clamps and cut both heater hoses in a convenient place on each side. this allows you to backflush the heater core (behind firewall) from both directions to get out all the rust and scale crap. its easier to cut/splice the hose than it is to try and get the heater hoses off the heater core pipes. (and you don't want to yank on those too hard). your heat will work a lot better.

+1 on use distilled water for your final coolant mix. don't use tap water due to iron/calcium minerals.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:40 PM
98Woo2500
Professional

hey dhvaughan,

thanx for the info, i was wondering how to drain the block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: flush radiator