2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High idle after IAC change-out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Dassquatch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle after IAC change-out.

I've got a 1997 Ram 1500 5.9l gas.

I just changed out the IAC and sprayed some throttle body cleaner in the port to make sure it was clear. After that, I started it up and she's idling like a champ again. But it will idle at about 2000, with no indication of change after a minute or two.

She'd been sitting for awhile, so I didn't have the foresight to change out the valve cover gaskets, and it developed an oil leak. So, I won't have the luxury of letting it idle for 5 or 10 minutes to see if she settles down.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

I need to change the O2 sensors also. It's just irritating, as I'm wanting to get it inspected so my wife will have something with air conditioning to drive here in Texas.

-Jason

Old 08-23-2013, 09:57 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure you didn't lose the o-ring that seats around the bore of the IAC (vacuum leak). Also make sure there's no crud on the edges of your throttle plate. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and wipe your memory out. Cycle the key 2 or 3 times slowly, start it up and let it run until it settles in. The PCM needs to determine the start-up/idle steps and it may take a few minutes for it to learn.

You might have even broke a vacuum line messing around in there

Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you reset the PCM? you gotta unhook the neg. cable and turn like ur headlight switch on for 5-10 mins and then hook it back up, so the pcm has to relearn with the new sensor. also a vacuum leak can cause high idle.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan0714
did you reset the PCM? you gotta unhook the neg. cable and turn like ur headlight switch on for 5-10 mins and then hook it back up, so the pcm has to relearn with the new sensor. also a vacuum leak can cause high idle.
30 seconds will do it.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Dassquatch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, which lines should I be checking? Any chance I could get some pics? I'll look at her and post some pics of what I find when I get home after work. Thanks for the advice, y'all.

Quick Reply: High idle after IAC change-out.