2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Maui_808
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire size?

I would run the same width rim with the same width tire, looks better to me.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:31 AM
WesV
Rookie

What ever you get make sure it is 10 ply. A 2500 requires load range E (AKA 10ply) and if you put something of lower rating on the truck andhave an accident due to loss of control, tire blow out or such your insurance company can drop you like a rock because you didn't have to proper factory speced equipment. To each their own and you may do as you wish, but if I were you I would definately look into your insurance policy details before doing it.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 AM
overs ram
Rookie

I wrote "on road" not off road, Mr. Killer

I am a hardcore offroad guy (with my Jeep) I have 15" beadlock rims with 35" BFG Krawlers, Iput the setup together for cheap but if I had the money and were to do it over I would do like the majority of "modern" hardcore wheelers do, I would have 17" rims with 37" or larger tires, to much sidewall with large tires is not a good thing in most situations. On a heavy 3/4 ton rams, havingthe properset up is even more important,off road 15' and 16" rims may work with tiresin the 35" range butyou are more likley to blow a bead at lower pressures with side loadetc. or worse roll a bead off the rim and cause a crash or rollover

If this guy is doing the majority of driving on road withtires close to 35"then he will be happier and safer with 17's or larger, if he has a v10 shouldent it have 4.11's and enough power?

I look at it this way, if he justwants the look of bigger tires he should go with 305's or 315's and get aftermarket rims to avoid the rub,if spending the money on new stuff, do it rightand go with 17 inch rims with proper offset, power and MPGshould not be a consideration with a V10,tire clearencewill not be an issue on a 2500 4x4, just a little rub at full lock on the splash shield, my 315/70/17 A/T'sare fine on road and off

If he tows heavy loads, yes, load range E is a must, for most 3/4 tons that are not tow rigs a load range D will work fine

----------------------------------------
ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

ORIGINAL: overs ram

also for best on road handeling a 17" or largerwould be be better with the larger tires

Yeah that's why all the hardcore offroad guys have 15" rims right?

Put it this way. The smaller your rim the more tire, the more rubber you can flatten out when have low air pressure, the more rubber making contact with the ground. Tires are cheaper for 15 inch rims. Now if you haul stuff alot I'd say get 16" because most 15" mudder tires are 6 ply where as you can get alot of 10 ply mudders in 16" size.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 AM
tothewall
Rookie

Also you can run a 12.5 inch wide tire on a 7" wide rim no problem, just keep your air pressure down so you don't ruin your center treads.

I defy you to show me a tire manufacturer that has a 7" rim listed for a 12.50 tire. TOO norrow. It will suck the sides in way too much and crown the tire. Just because you have seen it done, does NOT mean it is a good idea.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My fault, I when I read it I thought it said off road (most people say street driving or something not "on-road" lol).And I've seen people make the misconception that bigger wheels are better for offroad since the "offroad" edition of the ram came with 17" wheeels instead of 16. But I've seen people on 42" tires with 15" rims before, so I'm not sure how big the threat of them coming off the bead really is. I've had mine down to 8 PSI before and they didn't come off the bead (that's a 16" rim though and only 33" tires). Btw what kind ofjeep do you have that you can put37s on without redoing thewhole drivetrain? I'm toying with the idea of getting a jeep or a broncoto play with but I'd like to get full ton axels under this truck before I have to do it to yet anothervehicle.

If you airdown alot it's not a bad idea to get beadlock rims, they're just illigal for some crazy reason here in Pennsylvania so I don't use them. Just carry can of ether and a light incase something does happen.

Also you have to remember the bigger rims you buy the more expensive tires are going to be for them.

And the offset is ulitimatly going to be more important than wether you get 15,16,17 inch rims (some people fit 15s just fine on the earlier models, some still have trouble, I'm not into grinding my calipers down do I'd just stick to the 16 personally).

I wrote "on road" not off road, Mr. Killer

I am a hardcore offroad guy (with my Jeep) I have 15" beadlock rims with 35" BFG Krawlers, Iput the setup together for cheap but if I had the money and were to do it over I would do like the majority of "modern" hardcore wheelers do, I would have 17" rims with 37" or larger tires, to much sidewall with large tires is not a good thing in most situations. On a heavy 3/4 ton rams, havingthe properset up is even more important,off road 15' and 16" rims may work with tiresin the 35" range butyou are more likley to blow a bead at lower pressures with side loadetc. or worse roll a bead off the rim and cause a crash or rollover

If this guy is doing the majority of driving on road withtires close to 35"then he will be happier and safer with 17's or larger, if he has a v10 shouldent it have 4.11's and enough power?

I look at it this way, if he justwants the look of bigger tires he should go with 305's or 315's and get aftermarket rims to avoid the rub,if spending the money on new stuff, do it rightand go with 17 inch rims with proper offset, power and MPGshould not be a consideration with a V10,tire clearencewill not be an issue on a 2500 4x4, just a little rub at full lock on the splash shield, my 315/70/17 A/T'sare fine on road and off

If he tows heavy loads, yes, load range E is a must, for most 3/4 tons that are not tow rigs a load range D will work fine

----------------------------------------
ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

also for best on road handeling a 17" or largerwould be be better with the larger tires

Yeah that's why all the hardcore offroad guys have 15" rims right?

Put it this way. The smaller your rim the more tire, the more rubber you can flatten out when have low air pressure, the more rubber making contact with the ground. Tires are cheaper for 15 inch rims. Now if you haul stuff alot I'd say get 16" because most 15" mudder tires are 6 ply where as you can get alot of 10 ply mudders in 16" size.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

ORIGINAL: tothewall

Also you can run a 12.5 inch wide tire on a 7" wide rim no problem, just keep your air pressure down so you don't ruin your center treads.
[:-]
I defy you to show me a tire manufacturer that has a 7" rim listed for a 12.50 tire. TOO norrow. It will suck the sides in way too much and crown the tire. Just because you have seen it done, does NOT mean it is a good idea.
Alright first of all if you "defy" someone then that means you disobey their orders, not challenge them to prove something.

Secondly I did not say any tire manufacturer would have a 7" rim listed for a 12.5 inch tire. Hell my 285/75/16s are listed for an 8" wide tire. I still works just fine. I keep my air pressure kind of low around 30 psi in the back 35 in the front and they wear perfectly even the whole way across (and I've done a few chalkline tests to prove it)

Truthfully if you're going to be doing any offroading and you like to keep your air pressure low, having a skinnier rims on fatter tires is the next best thing to having a beadlock.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM
tothewall
Rookie

Alright first of all if you "defy" someone then that means you disobey their orders, not challenge them to prove something.

Thanks for your help with words... I need all the help I can get.

From dictionary.com (please see #3 in bold)

de·fy /v. dɪˈfaɪ; n. dɪˈfaɪ, ˈdifaɪ/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[v. di-fahy[/b]; n. di-fahy[/b], dee[/b]-fahy]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciationverb, -fied, -fy·ing, noun, plural -fies.
–verb (used with object) [/align]

to challenge the power of; resist boldly or openly: to defy parental authority. [/align]

to offer effective resistance to: a fort that defies attack. [/align]

to challenge (a person) to do something deemed impossible: They defied him to dive off the bridge.
[/align]

Archaic. to challenge to a combat or contest. [/align]–noun [/align]

a challenge; a defiance. [/align]

Secondly I did not say any tire manufacturer would have a 7" rim listed for a 12.5 inch tire. Hell my 285/75/16s are listed for an 8" wide tire. I still works just fine. I keep my air pressure kind of low around 30 psi in the back 35 in the front and they wear perfectly even the whole way across (and I've done a few chalkline tests to prove it) [/align][/align]Your 285s are about 10.5" wide. NO probs to run that on a 7" wheel. Apples and oranges my friend.

Truthfully if you're going to be doing any offroading and you like to keep your air pressure low, having a skinnier rims on fatter tires is the next best thing to having a beadlock.[/align][/align]On a 12.50 tire a 8" rim is better than a 10" rim but FAR from having it beadlocked...[/align][/align]You are clouding the issue with fluff. You said that 7" was fine for 12.50 tire. I said BS.[/align][/align]XXX
[/align]

Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Well it is fine regardless of what you think. It ain't the best for tire wear that's for sure, but it's not going to cause an accident or anything either. There's plenty of people over at pavementsucks.com running 12.5 wide tires on 7" wide rims. None of them are dying, none of them are wrecking their trucks or having sidewall blow outs, or having there tires come off the bead. There'seven a few guys on here who have 35x12.5s on the stock 16x7 inch rims.

The worst thing that canhappen is you wearout your center treads fastif you don't pay close attention to air pressure.

and 285mm = 11.2 inches not 10.5
and you won't find one tire manufacturer that says it's okay to mount a 285 on 7" wide wheel either.

Hell my friend ran 12.5inch wide tires on his6.5 inch wide rims for like4 months until he got the money to buy new rims. and he drives his truck on the highway everyday.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM
overs ram
Rookie

I have a built 97' TJ, with a Rubicon 4to1 T-Case, ARB lockers front and rear, 4.88 gears, stock Dana 44 and 30gusetedrunning chrommoly shafts, I may run with 37" krawlers, but will have to swap out at least the front the way I beat it (the R&P wont hold up)

I may just sell oldaxles completly and by custom hybrid 44/60s

take a look at the magazine called CRAWL, thats likemy back yard play ground

Yea, to most guys these days 35" is "small" 15s just give to much sidewall squirm and instability on and off road

the expense part is very much true but that is changing slowly, I bet you will see the trend going larger not smaller as a whole

Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
hpacheco

Hi everyone. Thanks again for your info. I still have'nt made my mind up on what setup to go with, but it sure helps to read your comments. I'll just need to do a little more homework. I'll need to find out for sure my gear ratio(1999 2500 V10 SLT)before I do anything. I am leaning toward getting 17"X8" wheels or larger. My stock rims I believe are 16X6.5.

Quick Reply: Tire size?