2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Junk!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mopar Junk!

OK, calm down
I'm just pissed off. My very expensive Mopar Performance headers have rusted through.
Both sides!
The chrome mostly peeled off a while back and they been looking pretty ratty for a while. That I could live with but now the noise severely irritates me.
There were a few pin holes that I patched with some muffler cement a while back that worked pretty good but now were beyond that kind of fix again. I knew I was on borrowed time.

So I've been looking for some budget replacement readers.
Some of the eBay stuff looks not bad. Anyone have any experience with any of those no name stainless systems?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tab%3DWatching

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:IT&ih=002

AND there another hitch I just remembered The Mopar headers use a different down pipe . I had to chop off the stock ones at the Cat and weld on special flange mount pipes. Old ones went in the trash with the stock manifolds long ago...

This could get expensive. I really don't want to replace the Cat, it only maybe 2 years old

CRAP!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mopar Junk!

and people say pacesetters are poop.

sucks man. No way to patch it with some plate and get it coated?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

No way to patch it with some plate and get it coated?
+1 Find a welder (unless you can weld yourself), pull 'em off, get a patched welded, and if you cant/won't get them coated you could paint them with high heat paint.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: xskylinedx

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

No way to patch it with some plate and get it coated?
+1 Find a welder (unless you can weld yourself), pull 'em off, get a patched welded, and if you cant/won't get them coated you could paint them with high heat paint.
Coat them or watch them rust. high heat paint comes off almost as fast as you put it on. Cant tell you how many times iv seen the paint come off in a matter of min.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
cdusthockey
Veteran

second that, i use that stuff on all my snowmobiles and im lucky if its still there after the first ride. once you get water on it when its wet, it damn near jumps off the metal. only thing i would use it for is gas grills

Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think its worthwhile to try patching and welding. Where it is the worst is where the header tubes meet the collector. Any little nook or cranny water debris collects and sooner or later rust will follow.
They certainly aren't worth the money they charge.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:03 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can't really weld or braze much when the metal is paper thin, rusting through, and there's no real structural point to tie back to. you end up just making a bigger hole. jmo, but i've been through headers before, and decided they are a monumental pita and waste of money. they do look cool for a year or so, and then rust away into junk. too bad nobody makes a solid cast iron header type manifold that lasts (or do they). hell, they'd cost a fortune...
this will sound stupid but you might just mix up a whole package of jb-weld and put it all the way in and around the whole thing. couldn't hurt to try. i made and entire muffler like that for my 4-wheeler. it took 4 packs of jb and i used 2 coats.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:57 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

you can't really weld or braze much when the metal is paper thin, rusting through, and there's no real structural point to tie back to.
gotcha. Im no welder, thanks for the info.

In that case, if you have a small hole, try getting some heat shield, wrap it TIGHT arround that primary. Then take either an exhaust clamp or header wrap and keep that heat shield on there tight. Definately not the best solution, but cheeper than 400 for new ones.

Quick Reply: Mopar Junk!