DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   transmission problems, overfull fluid? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/145658-transmission-problems-overfull-fluid.html)

soccerjon1013 02-03-2008 04:18 PM

transmission problems, overfull fluid?

hello, i had my transmission fluid changed on thursday in North Ohio, I drove down towards North Carolina, but broke down in West Virginia, about 350 miles from where i had my truck serviced. the vehicle ran fine, then all of the sudden, i was driving up a hill, and it felt like it went into neutral and would no longer change gears. i let the vehicle sit for about an hr and tried again, but had no luck, it would shift into first and reverse, but would return to neutral after about 20 yards. I checked the trans fluid, and it was about 2 qts over filled. Is there anyway that this could have caused my transmission to act this way, is there an easy fix or is this a serious problem, or would there be something else that may have happened to cause this problem

padodgeram 02-03-2008 04:26 PM

RE: transmission problems, overfull fluid?

being overfilled is just as bad as being underfilled , damage may happen .. drain the 2 extra quarts ASAP.. did you check the fluid while in N ?? engine running ??? i would call the shop and say something if thats the case.. and what type of fluid did they put in ??

nolazach 02-03-2008 04:41 PM

If they didn't use the chrysler fluid that could cause problems. The ATF+4

HellaciousHemi 02-03-2008 04:57 PM

Yes, overfilling will cause erration in the fluid and damage the transmission. Look on your dipstick to see if that says the particular fluid it needs. My 1998 1500 4x4 takes Dexron/Mercon 3 so there is actually more than just the ATF+3 or 4 for what can berequired.But I just put Amsoil in it.

Houston4x4 02-03-2008 05:24 PM

Overfilling should only be done after the trans is out. It's a good trick to get the truck off the road.

motorbrreath 02-03-2008 06:14 PM

yeah over filling can do that, buddy of mine overfilled mine when i first got it. caused problems until it was drained.

soccerjon1013 02-03-2008 06:30 PM

not sure what kind of fluid they used, so yours wouldn't shift into gear at all? but was working fine as soon as it was all drained and filled to the proper level?

motorbrreath 02-03-2008 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: soccerjon1013

not sure what kind of fluid they used, so yours wouldn't shift into gear at all? but was working fine as soon as it was all drained and filled to the proper level?
i had it serviced in the mountains, so it was only about an hour drive on the highway, when i got off the highway the truck didnt wanna move at all. the fluid had expanded and made it not go into gear. i would drain all that out, put some new fluid in it (i think its 5 quarts) atf+4 and see if that helps. it might have burnt your clutches/bands up goin the distance you did.

but look at it this way, if the shop messed ur tranny up, they should take care of it.

highlander73 02-03-2008 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: HellaciousHemi

Yes, overfilling will cause erration in the fluid and damage the transmission. Look on your dipstick to see if that says the particular fluid it needs. My 1998 1500 4x4 takes Dexron/Mercon 3 so there is actually more than just the ATF+3 or 4 for what can berequired.But I just put Amsoil in it.
A Ram uses Dexron/Mercon 3? Never heard of that one.

motorbrreath 02-03-2008 11:19 PM

ORIGINAL: highlander73

ORIGINAL: HellaciousHemi

A Ram uses Dexron/Mercon 3? Never heard of that one.

no ram uses dexron... they all use atf+4