DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   transmition wierd? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/150454-transmition-wierd.html)

dodge@1997 03-01-2008 01:26 PM

transmition wierd?

I have looked at the threads about trannys, couldn't find anything like this. When you are driving it is fine untill you stop. Then sometimes It gets stuck in first gear and sometimes it gets stuck in second gear. If you pull over and stick it in park then back in drive it will shift. I checked tranny fluid and now it is magicaly over full, before it was right on the money.( I just changed fluid and filter a few months ago) When I put it in park it is making a preaty loud click sound and check eigine light came on today.

Could the linkage being out of adjustment cause this? Thats what I was thinking untill I checked the fluid.
Which manual is better Hanes or Chilton??? I have always used chilton, but I see you guys talking about Hanes all of the time.

dodge@1997 03-01-2008 02:26 PM

RE: transmition wierd?

Anybody have any input?

dodge@1997 03-01-2008 04:35 PM

Ok I checked the fluid hot ideling and in neutral and it showed over full. I just checked it with the engine shut off and Ii shows the same reading it did ideling in nutral. Pump???

But if pump is not working how is able to drive at all?? Any help would be great!!!

Slomojo01 03-01-2008 08:04 PM

Your engine spins the torque converter and that is your pump. If your fluid level is over a little bit, then remove some fluid with a siphon pump through the dipstick and keep checking your fluid level until you get it spot on.

Also, when was the last time you serviced your tranny?

Duct tape a garbage bag around your tranny pan after you've loosened all the fastening bolts to the point where you can undo them by hand and drop the pan to change out some of the fluid. Clean the magnet and the bottom of the pan, get a haynes or chilton repair manual so you can adjust your shifting bands, install a new gasket and filter, , and add some fresh fluid. This helped my tranny when I had the same problem a while back. If you have over 60,000 miles on the tranny and hardly ever service the tranny like it should be, it wouldn't be a bad idea to siphon as much fluid out of the tranny cooler line as possible to then replace with fresh fluid. The fluid in the pan is supposed to be changed around 30,000 miles, so seeing as how there's 4 quarts in there and the system has a capacity of betwween 16-18 quarts of fluid, if you haven't already changed at least 1/2 the fluid in the system and you've got over 60,000 miles which is very likely, your overdue and that could be part of the reason for the thing acting funny.

If all that doesn't work, you might want to get a new speed sensor for about $30 from the dealer. That was the main problem for my tranny when I had similar problems, but the fresh filter and fluid most certainly did help a little.

dodge@1997 03-02-2008 06:23 PM

I Just changed the fluid any filter in December. At the time I didn't know anything about the band adjustment. I just got the instructions on how to do it last night.

What would make it have the same reading on the dipstick weather it is running in nutral or not running at all??

Also did your check engine light come on? Mine did? Is there a way to flash the check engine and count the flashes? I know you could on older Dodges.

jasonw 03-03-2008 02:47 AM

If your Dodge has the digital readout for mileage below the tachometer/temp gauge, you can get any codes it might have by doing the "key to on" trick.

I can't remember exactly how it goes, as I haven't had a need for it yet, but search the forums here and you can find it. It involves turning the key to the "on" position (but not "start") twice or three times (can't remember which), and on that last time leaving the key in the on position, and the truck will output any codes it as to that digital screen.

A little help here from someone who's done the trick before, please? :)

froesen 03-03-2008 03:20 AM

Jason, that doesn't work on 98/99's as far as i know (doesn't on my 98) either. Do what slo says, but check your existing fluid for water. Tranny fluid that creeps up can be caused by the rad being deuced as tranny fluid is cooled by the antifreeze in a liquid intercooler in the rad. This is very bad news and would likely cause shifting issues followed by catastrophic failure. Any oil in your antifreeze?

jasonw 03-03-2008 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: froesen

Jason, that doesn't work on 98/99's as far as i know (doesn't on my 98) either. Do what slo says, but check your existing fluid for water. Tranny fluid that creeps up can be caused by the rad being deuced as tranny fluid is cooled by the antifreeze in a liquid intercooler in the rad. This is very bad news and would likely cause shifting issues followed by catastrophic failure. Any oil in your antifreeze?
Really? OK, thanks for the correction. My bad.

froesen 03-03-2008 05:03 AM

PRETTY sure for the '99's also. anyone know for sure?

dodge@1997 03-03-2008 11:02 AM

Mine is a 1997.

Slomaj01- Where is the Tranny Speed sensor.