DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   1997 Ram Problems, please help (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/15488-1997-ram-problems-please-help.html)

Somers 12-31-2004 09:13 PM

1997 Ram Problems, please help

Here is the the deal. Exaust lets go, check engine light comes on. I get a new exaust, codes are cleared. Check engine light comes BACK on. Code says #3 cylinder injector and the truck is shaking at low RPM, when I punch it its smooth as glass. Buy new injector, install no problems. Install new plugs as well, just for ****s and giggles. Clear codes, start truck, check engine light comes on AGAIN. Drive truck and it STILL is shaking just like before. I checked the plug wire, they are pretty near brand new, spark is arcing fine. New injector, new plug and there is spark. Truck still shakes and hesitates at low RPM's and check engine light still comes on.

Any clues? Any idea's? I am running out of patience and money!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Happy new year everyone,

James

doziersdodge 01-01-2005 09:56 AM

RE: 1997 Ram Problems, please help

Is it shaking when it is parked or when you are driving it?

Check the fuel system if it is shaking in park...check the front suspension if it is shaking during driving. I have a 97 Ram and have heard some issues around the fuel pump/filter in the tank. Just a thought.

Somers 01-01-2005 01:14 PM

Doesn't shake when its parked. Completely new front end job less than 1 month ago. Truck is smooth as butter other than the low RPM shake. Only shakes when driving in low RPM. It idles a little rougher than I would prefer, than again, I am used to Toyota's which idle and run smooth forever.

Let me know what you think.

You think it may be the fuel pump and or filter?

james

HemiMan02 01-02-2005 05:51 AM

try switching the plug and injector to different cylinders....if the code changes you have found your culprit...sometimes the spray pattern can be different and not allowing enough fuel and things like that...also check your plug wires for like a powdery white substance formed in a circle...that would be evidence that the spark is arching through the wire from time to time.

nmason 01-02-2005 11:02 AM

mines a 96 ram, and it also runs very rough and/or stalles right out when running at low rpms. dont usually notice it after i get going for a minute though. ive changed cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, cat. fuel is the only thing left. if you cahnge the fuel filter and or pump let me know. it would be very cool if that fixed it.

also you mentionned a rebuild on your front end. this is something i will be doing in 2 or 3 months. exactly what all did you repair/replace and how much did it cost? howd it feel afterwards?

thanx

Snafu 01-02-2005 02:57 PM

Mine did that when the PCM was bad. Well, it was the wrong one for my current application. Idled rough and kept stalling at idle speeds, even when coming to a stop with the clutch in. Changed the PCM to the correct one, solved the porblems. But I've got a unique situation, I changed from an auto trans to a manual, but if your PCM has a fried circuit or something it could do the same thing. Just something to think of.

doziersdodge 01-04-2005 11:41 AM

I had an 85 chevy silverado when I was in college. Idling was fine. When I drove at low speeds it shook like crazy. At high speeds it was fine. Changed the fuel pump and fixed the problem.