2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 03:06 PM
lukeca
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission issues?

Hi all,

Ok so my transmission has a leak at the shift linkage seal, and it appears one of the pan bolts are stripped so I think it's leaking a bit from there too. I'm going to take the pan off to retap that bolt hole and replace the shift linkage seal so hopefully it will stop dripping.

But I also have another issue, I have never experienced it, but my wife has multiple times, so I don't know if it is different driving styles or what. The problem happens to her when the engine is still cold. She will shift into drive and leave her work parking lot, the truck will drive just fine, then she stops at the first stop light after leaving her work, she hits the gas to go, the truck just revs and then she says it slams into gear. Then after that one time it is fine the rest of the way home. I just checked the fluid and it is still in the "OK" range. I checked in neutral with the engine warm and idling.

One thing that may be related, is the shifter is very "loose" if that makes sense. It's sometimes kind of hard to feel it click into to reverse or neutral. Drive is generally pretty easy to find because I just move the shifter down as far as it will go, it prevents you from going past drive unless you pull the shifter towards you to go into 2 or 1. So I don't know if perhaps it's not fully in drive?

Also I have a vacuum leak somewhere because I have that crazy vent problem, I haven't found where it is leaking yet though. Any possible relation, should I try to fix that first?

So any suggestions of anything I should replace while I have the transmission drained?

Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Trans doesn't care about vacuum. Do a search on Wild Vents. Can probably fix that with the check valve.

Have a look at your shift linkage, My guess is, you have some bushings worn/broken, and your wife doesn't quite get the shifter all the in. Or some such. Can she duplicate this any time? Might want to ride with her, and see if she can make it do it. DON'T give her any pointers. Let her drive the way she usually does.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM
lukeca
Professional

Ok will do, I will do that when I take it apart to replace that seal, thanks for the pointers

Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM
lukeca
Professional

Heyyou, I was just wondering, are the bushings just like a standard part that I could get at an autopart store? Is it just like looking for a bolt that is the right size, I just need to find a bushing that is the right size? Or do I need to get some specific dodge part?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I think the parts stores sell a bushing "kit" that supposedly includes all the 'right' ones..... Personally.... I would have a look at what ya got, see what ya need, and get the Correct Parts (yes, capitol letters....) from the dealer. Then you KNOW you have the right ones. You spend a bit more, but, the end result is that much better.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 PM
lukeca
Professional

Ok cool, thanks a lot for the help

Old 12-16-2010, 03:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Look on Rock Auto, they have some of those seals listed.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
lukeca
Professional

zman, thanks, I actually ended up finding everything I needed there, so that made it easy

Old 12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No prob, glad I could help.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:45 PM
lukeca
Professional

Well I just wanted to add, I rode with my wife and felt what it did. It happened twice, both times on a hill. It starts to go then revs when it shifts from first to second (I think anyway). The first time she didn't let of the gas and it kinda just slammed into gear, the second time she did let off and it went nicely into gear, but still there was that delay where it seemed like it was just in neutral. Once the engine was warm it did not happen anymore. It may have been doing it to me and I just never noticed because I would just let off the gas without realizing it, or maybe I was never on any hills when the engine was cold.

So I don't know if you have any more ideas?

Quick Reply: Transmission issues?