DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   overhead console (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/175615-overhead-console.html)

PurplDodge 09-23-2008 08:49 PM

overhead console

i was wanting to put in one of those compass computers in purple. it does not have one and ive been thinking of how conveinent it would be to have one. So, how complicated is it to do it? are the sensors and the wiring already there? thanks

aim4squirrels 09-23-2008 08:57 PM

I've heard rumors that some trucks do have the wiring and some don't the only way to know for sure is to pull off the inner roof and check.

PurplDodge 09-23-2008 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels (Post 1415011)
I've heard rumors that some trucks do have the wiring and some don't the only way to know for sure is to pull off the inner roof and check.

well the im prolly skrued

APA228 09-24-2008 09:41 AM

The wiring is probably not in place for the console. I just put one in my '96 without any problems. Pick up a console unit with its connector,and a temperature sensor and plug on Ebay. You will need to run some wires up to the roof through the left "A" post plastic trim. Removing it will let you pull the wires down between the windshield and IP.
There will be a yellow, pink and black wire there for your dome lights, so you need to pick up an "ignition on" feed for the compass and temp feed. There will also be 2 wires for the temp sensor that need to run up to the front of the radiator support on the LS, Splice the wires to the temp sensor. The biggest pain in the whole job is removing the console without breaking the tabs that hold it in place and getting the screws out of the light fixture. The compass/temp gauge uses a different light unit from the plain console. The plastic gets brittle with age. If you need more info let me know and I will list wire colors etc. for you.
Tom

PurplDodge 10-01-2008 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by APA228 (Post 1415445)
The wiring is probably not in place for the console. I just put one in my '96 without any problems. Pick up a console unit with its connector,and a temperature sensor and plug on Ebay. You will need to run some wires up to the roof through the left "A" post plastic trim. Removing it will let you pull the wires down between the windshield and IP.
There will be a yellow, pink and black wire there for your dome lights, so you need to pick up an "ignition on" feed for the compass and temp feed. There will also be 2 wires for the temp sensor that need to run up to the front of the radiator support on the LS, Splice the wires to the temp sensor. The biggest pain in the whole job is removing the console without breaking the tabs that hold it in place and getting the screws out of the light fixture. The compass/temp gauge uses a different light unit from the plain console. The plastic gets brittle with age. If you need more info let me know and I will list wire colors etc. for you.
Tom

I get it, but how does the compass and the mpg computer get its readings?

Metal King 8989 10-01-2008 08:59 PM

the console doesnt have an mpg reader. only temperature and compass...

and their are sensors for the temp and compass. not sure if it is all one sensor or two though

jasonw 10-01-2008 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Metal King 8989 (Post 1420760)
the console doesnt have an mpg reader.

Yes it does.

My console has a MPG display, both a trip summary MPG and an instant MPG. They aren't too accurate of course, like most vehicles with them, but they are there.

PurplDodge 10-01-2008 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Metal King 8989 (Post 1420760)
the console doesnt have an mpg reader. only temperature and compass...

and their are sensors for the temp and compass. not sure if it is all one sensor or two though

you mean their inside the display module?

APA228 10-01-2008 10:48 PM

The temperature sensor is separate from the unit mounted under the hood, the compass is self contained. The '96 did not come with the MPG feeds, but the later trucks did have it. It is fed from a feed from the Central Timer Module.

PurplDodge 10-01-2008 10:55 PM

sorry i have to ask, but where is that at? and what is the feed?