2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Special tools do i need for heater core remove/install

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:22 PM
blackedout00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special tools do i need for heater core remove/install

ive seen the DIY heater core but id like to know what special tools for the vacuum and and charging i need,were can i get them at and how much they run juss an estimate.i plan on doing this Saturday and i am mechanically knowledgdable juss not with ac or heat

Old 10-24-2008, 06:00 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only special tool you need is the one to disconnect the ac hose couplers. But by law, you should go to an AC shop and have them recover the refrigerant. While you are there you could disable the AC compressor and have them disconnect them for you, and plug them up to keep contaminants out. When you are done replacing core, go back and they can charge the system back up for you.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:04 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to tell you in the pm I sent anytime you open up the A/C system you should replace the drier.

Other than that I think I covered the tools in the pm. Basically just a Vacuum pump, A/C gauges, can tap to tap the can to refill the system, and A/C disconnect lines. I got it all at Napa.

What year do you have? I'm assuming it takes R134A as I think anything after 93 does so that would be all 2nd gens.

Quick Reply: Special tools do i need for heater core remove/install