2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rad and elctric fan help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM
My360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rad and elctric fan help

After changing out the water pump... then fixing the rad and all that headache. I decided the next thing on my to do list is a new aftermarket rad and some electric fans (removing the mechanical was a PITA!). I want to free up some strain on the engine.

I searched the forum and found a lot of talk but nothing really in the mention of what brand.
So, what would be my best best for a rad upgrade for my 5.9? I saw that the Diesel and V-10 both would work. Or is there an aftermarket that's better?
Also, my father in-law just got a new rad for his '05 5.7. I know it's smaller, but if I could get it mounted, would that work better than my stock rad?

Also, in way of electric fans. I was thinking dual 12"? Any suggestions on a kit that comes with all the wiring for the stat and everything? I've been searching and really haven't came up with much. i know they will put a lil more wear on the alt. By the looks of mine, I'm going to have to switch it out in the near future.
thanks for helping.

Last edited by My360; 10-22-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought THIS one. It is pricey, but works extremely well. Others have made up their own. More important than fan size is CFM.

Name:  efansbolted.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  184.4 KB

Name:  TCPfancomp.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  171.3 KB

Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM
My360
Professional

I think I may have read a thread that you posted in about this kit. Where did you get it from? Also, it comes with all the hooks too, doesn't it?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
I bought THIS one. It is pricey, but works extremely well. Others have made up their own. More important than fan size is CFM.

Click on the red "THIS" above. Takes you to the website.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Click on the red "THIS" above. Takes you to the website.
Holy cow, it does!

I'll be a guy could put that technology to use somehow.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
My360
Professional

...feel like an idiot. That thing is pricey but sure does look nice.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

there are cheaper options
Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
I never posted what I ended up doing, so here it is.

19" Jeep fan - Part Number CBG4F250
Mounted with zipties in the stock shroud.

And this wiring kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3647/

I wish that I could separately adjust the shutoff temperature, as I don't want the truck to run over 200 degrees, but in the heat of Louisiana, with a 192 stat and my redneck shroud setup, the fan never shuts off once it turns on. I will do something different with the wiring someday, but in the meantime I have had no issues with it.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simply removing that giant plastic shroud creates a lot of room for airflow. On mine I removed that & now the E-fans rarely need to come on at all. The only time I notice them on is in a really slow drive thru. I did mine cheaper, used fans from a Bonneville I used to own. I cut off the pig tails to them so I could wire it correctly. I got a hose splice in adapter for a proper screw in fan switch & all is well. I hear that the stock fans off a Taurus/sable are really strong too & not a bad choice. Do a search by my handle & you will see that in a post on this less than a year ago I posted a wiring diagram I used. Otherwise if you want shiny & new there are plenty of kits available. I did mine all together for about $50.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i have read that the ford fans work good but also draw a lot of amps which is there downside.
too bad the rad on the newer trucks are soo small. i like the dual electric fans i got out of a 2000 dodge caravan and they only seem to require about 10amps per fan when they are running and if you didn't look too close it would almost look like it came from the factory with them. my caravan fans only cost me $30.

Quick Reply: Rad and elctric fan help