2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wet weather the Ram won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 PM
whitetailridge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wet weather the Ram won't start

When it's raining or damp out my Ram is really hard to get started. Probably getting moisture somewhere. My first step I thought would be spark plug wires or distributor cap. Where should I start and in what order?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be easier if you explain to us what is the sounds it does, what the reaction to the turn of the key. that would be a heck of a lot easier

Old 11-02-2008, 02:12 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine did the same thing.. if it was a heavy rain and very damp out it would not start

i fixed it by getting all new wires cap rotor and plugs

water is getting inside your distributor cap.. replace it and get a tune-up

Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

remove the old distributor cap and replace with a new one, along with the rotor. I prefer brass contacts.

When you reinstall, wipe some dielectric grease on the tip of the rotor, the top of the rotor, the button and terminals under the cap, a good helping on the terminals on the top of the cap, and then a ring around the bottom of the cap where it sits on the distributor (this last one keeps moisture from getting in there in the first place). Give the terminals of the spark plugs (the side the wires go on, not the tip that goes in the engine), and the coil a good coating of dielectric grease as well. Then unplug the coil and put dielectric grease in the plug as well. DO NOT USE REGULAR GREASE! If it that don't fix it, it ain't the ignition components. you might blame the starter or possibly the battery terminal connections.

Quick Reply: Wet weather the Ram won't start