2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

big tires and nice wheels vs winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
360magnumram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big tires and nice wheels vs winter

ok so I have 16x10 eagle alloy wheels. They are really nice and I don't wanna booger them up. I also have general grabber at2s 305 70 r16s. They are exceptionally wide with the 16x10s and I heard wide tires really suck in the winter.

ok so here's my dilemma.....I only have the stock size (245 75 r16s) on the crappy OEM rims. I think that they will look retarded on the truck especially after i put my blocks in the back. Not to mention they are two different brands and they arent even the same size! They say the same but when I measure them they're two completely different sizes! so i have to buy at least two new tires if i have to put the stock size ones on.

my question is....how bad are wide tires in the snow? will the salt of new york really screw up my nice rims? and if wide tires are bad and the rims will get ruined....should I buy two new stock size tires or buy a set of taller tires(not as wide as the 305s) and put them on my stock rims? I really don't wanna put the stock tires on the truck...it'll look so stupid.

any input is appreciated.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 PM
EricCartman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the wider the better. A wider tire gives you a larger footprint, which results in more traction.

Many folks will drop their tire pressure while off road (snow included) to increase their foot print and get more traction. Not the best idea for normal roadway speeds... but it's the same principle.

I have been "stuck" in the snow with my tire at 20 PSI. When I dropped down to 8 psi... I drove right out... again, I was offroad and speed was kept below about 5 mph...

Can't speak to the salt issue... I know it is a corrosive, but I do not have not practical experience to tell you what it can do.

Good luck,
Cartman

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok, i am from the litle town of highland, its in "upper" lower newyork, yes the larger tires will do fine, but the wide tire keep you on top of everything, the reason people say the skinny ties are better for the snow is it " cuts through the snow to get traction on the pavement, and the salt up there is basicly just a little bit of salt with alot of sand, it will not ruin anything, as long as you take care fo them and dont leave it on there for a month or two, just rinses off. your rims will be fine, and the tires, just leave the ones you have and be careful turning, you will be fine, if you are in the deep **** of snow cause there are snow drifts there, you should know that if you have been in NY for any amount of time, keep your tires right where you normally do, if you so happen to find yourself in a drift and stuck or in the woods wheeling, just do like Eric said, lower them and you will crawl right out, but be sure if you do go back to the road, nothing fast, and go to the first gas station fill them back up, it will eat your tires apart

Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Wide tires and snow is fine, tread is more important in my opinion. With ice you're not going to do very well anyway.

To keep your wheels nice clean them as often as possible, you're better off because they are an alloy not a straight steel wheel that is chromed (those are harder to keep rust off of).

Old 09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

true with the treads, you need to have good meat, it looks like in the picture, you have ok meat, but could use some new ones, but you should be fine, as for the ice, thats why i said watch yoru turning, but like i said, if you are from newyork, you know how to drive in that slippery **** like me. and for the rims, like i said, just rinse them off, they are fine, or just wipe them down at the end of the day, but once a week shoudl be fine

Old 09-10-2008, 09:36 PM
360magnumram
Professional

actually the meat is great on them i just noticed that the picture doesn't do them any justice cuz I have less than 2000 miles on them.

but thanks guys I might go to the stock rims for the winter but leave the big tires cuz to me those rims seem real fussy....like they get marks on them very easily.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:45 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

ok well the rims will be fine, as you drive around in the snow, it cleans them off too, and then by just wiping them down, you will be fine, but its up to you

Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Well, Denver snow is different from New York snow so, keep that in mind. Here, I run my stock wheels with 33" ATs and they work great. The only thing they (ATs) aren't so well with is the deep slush. I think you'd be fine either way and just keep the wheels rinsed.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

I run my rims all year round as I don't have the stock tires and wheels. Now granted we don't have the most snow but I've driven in snow with it a few times. It does fine although I have had to put it in 4wd when I'm not sure I should have but I think that's more the truck rather than tires. I've never gotten fully stuck where 4wd couldn't get me out because of the snow. Not sure how it would be with stock tires but mine work fine as long as you are careful.

As for the rims the salt seems to pit them. Mine aren't in horrible shape but they do have some spots on them with pits from the salt. This is the biggest reason I wouldn't want to run them in the winter however mine still clean up to shine to where you can't see it from a foot away. You see it when you are super close cleaning them. That's after how many years? You may want to just run them and just keep them clean.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 PM
360magnumram
Professional

Thanks for the help guys. I just noticed today that the tires actually have holes for studs so I think I'm set https://dodgeforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

as for the rims w/e they're nice but not that nice they'll last till i get rid of the truck anyway.

Quick Reply: big tires and nice wheels vs winter