2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pooched Tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pooched Tranny??

So I am heading into town today, was going to pick up new bedsides for my truck to fix some dreaded wheel well rust. As I went to pull out onto the highway, I noticed that the tranny started to act up. Usually, with the amount of throttle I give to merge onto a typical highway, the engine revs to no more than 2500 rpms before shifting into the next gear. This time, the first to second shift did not happen until 3500+ rpm. I thought it was kind of odd at the time but didn't really think much of it. Fast forward 20 minutes and I am driving through the city in stop and go traffic. The whole time, in the best way I could describe it, was it seemed like 1/4 throttle was 3/4 throttle. The engine would rev up into the 3500 rpm range when shifting from first to second and down shift with just the slightest nudge of the accelerator. I finally had enough clearing to open her up to see how full throttle reacted and that's where things went downhill. At anything more than half throttle (and this can be recreated EVERY time) the truck will rev up in first gear and bounce off of the rev limiter and not shift into second. It requires me let my foot entirely off the gas for it to shift. From second to third and third to fourth I noticed no really odd behaviour besides slightly higher shift points. I checked the tranny fluid (which was changed last year) and levels were good but it was somewhat burnt and metallic in colour What do you guys think, pooched torque converter? Something out of adjustment? It sucks but I am going to have to put asthetic work aside and focus on making this dang thing run right. Its a 02 with the 5.9 and 150k on the original tranny. I have also attached a link to a video to show what its doing. Thanks guys

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...nnyGremlin.mp4

Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Dbrown016
Amateur

im interested in the replies for this as i was JUST about to start a thread about this SAME thing on my 01 1500. it will rev up to about 2500 when im at a stop sign, and then drop heavily into first gear. and sometimes squeel tires. and of course all my neighbors look donw on me for it because i am a 16 yr old kid, and they tink im doing it on purpose...lol.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Metallic? Soundslike its time for a rebuild. Im betting that the adjustment bands are about shredded.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:43 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dbrown, did you get a chance to take out the check valve. it sounds like you have a low pressure issue

Old 08-10-2012, 11:54 PM
GreenEH
Professional

The first time it missed a shift it scared the sh*t out of me. I thought my engine was going to explode when the tach needle went beyond 6k... Now with my tuner the rev limiter is at 5300 so I dont know why it revved that much beyond that. I did try reverting back to the stock tune thinking maybe something went faulty with the program: no luck. Also, for probably the past 6 months, I believe it has been going in and out of torque converter lock up. Basically i can set cruise on the highway and I know that at 60 mph my rpms should be around 1700. Then without warning they will shoot up to 2000 and not want to come back down (I am guessing this is from the torque converter no longer being in full lock??). It takes me relieving my foot from the accelerator, coasting, then reapplying to return it back to normal rpms. I assume this is not normal behaviour??

Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

No. You need a rebuild or a megaviper.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Dbrown016
Amateur

gertie, where is the Check valve?

Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Do a search for check valve delete. Ther is a how to with pics in it.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:21 PM
GreenEH
Professional

I took out the truck today for a quick spin and found a new problem. When using the shift selector, when placed into "2" the truck will not shift out of first gear, regardless of rpm or throttle position. Like stated earlier, I can get it to shift into second gear (at less than half throttle and above normal rpms), but ONLY in drive now. WTH?

Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

You need a rebuild. Plain and simple. Take it to a reputable shop and dont pay more than $1000.

Quick Reply: Pooched Tranny??