2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replacement

Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 AM
acsamples79
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement

okay so i basically am about to have a fastman on the way, but my question is..im going to take my hypertech max energy and sell it due to the fact that it is only giving me fuel economy and i want to replace it with either a SC flashpaq or an SCT tuner but im not really sure what would be the best the only other thing i really have is the CAI and im looking for more torque and more horsepower and all that so please let me know which programmer would work better for me along with any other performance suggestions to beef it up..

Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If you plan on doing some major upgrades later down the road, such as roller rockers, new heads, new cam, supercharger, or etc., etc. then you want the SCT.

If you just plan on doing minor bolt-ons, like your CAI and better-than-stock exhaust, the Flashpaq will be good enough for ya.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Vader
Champion

How much of an improvement in mpg do you see with the Hypertech?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:50 AM
acsamples79
Veteran

i havent figured it up MPG wise but before the hypertech i was getting ALMOST 200 miles to a tank...after the hypertech its between 275-300 to a tank depending on the drive.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got 2-3mpg more with the hypertech max energy.then i got the superchip 3815,it has more hp than the hypertech.i am guessing about 10hp more.both on the performance setting.

i would say if you have the extra money i would go for the sct right of the get go. i am sure that it is better than both the hyper and the 3815. though i havent tried the sct yet.i will be here in the near future.soon as i do a couple more mods.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 AM
ron333
Captain

As I have mentioned to others in the past, I HIGHLY recommend the SCT tuner and get it from Hemifever@aol.com because his customer service is excellent!!! After everything I had changed on my truck, the SCT tuner with the programming from Hemifever maybe as much as doubled the gains I saw from the other changes combined! From what I found, he has about the best pricing, but he doesn't charge for program changes down the road if you buy from him. He does charge something like $50 for programming for MAJOR changes like forced induction though, but everything else is free. If you are even half-way thinking you may do more to your truck in the future, you really should go with Hemifever. I am extremely happy that I did!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

Originally Posted by jason.w
roller rockers, new heads, new cam,
i do want to get all that good stuff..what brands do you see to be the best? and if you got some could you give me some links of the best places to buy them? id appreciate it

Old 11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

i have a question...when i ordered my hypertech max energy it was the option for 97-01 ram 5.2/5.9L and i have a 2001 5.2L and i have a guy wanting to buy it from me he has a either 98 or 99 5.9L and i just wonder if it will work for him since his truck is a different year? or if the tuner was year specific?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by acsamples79
i do want to get all that good stuff..what brands do you see to be the best? and if you got some could you give me some links of the best places to buy them? id appreciate it
For the heads and cam, only place I know of is Hughes Engines. I've heard and read they do good work. I'm sure others around here know of other places.

For RRs, I'd suggest Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio, unless you get the cam at the same time or somewhat close to, then go with 1.6 ratio. You can get them from Summit Racing for a pretty good price usually. As soon as Squirrels gets around to getting his cam (hint hint ), I've got first dibs on his 1.7 RRs, because I don't plan on changing my cam. A little to in-depth for my blood.

One of the easiest and best upgrades I have done to date has been the Fastman 52mm throttle body, available from Dan Arcand, the Fastman. He recommends 50mm for 5.2L engines, 52mm for 5.9L, and if you plan on doing supercharger and all those high end upgrades, maybe a 55mm. He does them all.

Others here will be able to give you other ideas.

General sites for bolt-ons and other upgrades that I frequent a lot (besides the ones already mentioned):
www.summitracing.com
www.jcwhitney.com
www.ebay.com

Old 11-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Vader
Champion

Originally Posted by acsamples79
i have a question...when i ordered my hypertech max energy it was the option for 97-01 ram 5.2/5.9L and i have a 2001 5.2L and i have a guy wanting to buy it from me he has a either 98 or 99 5.9L and i just wonder if it will work for him since his truck is a different year? or if the tuner was year specific?

Hey, if that deal falls through, let me know. I am not interested in HP gains just better MPG.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacement