DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Fleet trucks (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/179444-fleet-trucks.html)

oiler 11-08-2008 09:04 AM

Fleet trucks

My co. buys fleet Trucks from Dodge. Hundreds of them. One of the mechanics there swears that fleet trucks are a lessor qaulity compaired to those that are offered to the general public. I called B.S. Any opinions, insight?

zman17 11-08-2008 09:11 AM

I don't think they are of lessor quality, they are just stripped down with no frills.

oiler 11-08-2008 09:20 AM

My argument exactly. He say's that because the one's that generally buy fleet are business', therefore more they can sell more parts. We put a lot of miles on our trucks. We can be out of warranty on mileage in a year in most case's. I never should have bit on it, but you never know.

zman17 11-08-2008 09:24 AM

They also might be thrown together with less care or quicker, but I don't see them going through the trouble of having different parts.

eaglestorm 11-08-2008 02:05 PM

same truck bare bones trim the rest is BS

rabbler 11-08-2008 05:26 PM

He probably thinks they are of poor quality because the guys that drive these fleet trucks don't own them to they can run them hard and abuse them without any ramifications.
The factory doesn't built to a lower quality because the are fleet vehicles. Udder BS!

jasonw 11-08-2008 06:40 PM

They do do some things differently with fleet vehicles, but not of lesser quality.

My dad works for the Feds (U.S. Department of Agriculture), and drives a 2007 Dodge Dakota, that is assigned to his county office, to count rancher's livestock, check grain bins, and go to meetings in other parts of the state. It has the 5.2L engine it. I almost flat out told him he was wrong, it couldn't, those have been out of production for so long. But he swears up and down it has the 5.2L, not the 4.7L.

So they do do some things to "strip down" the fleet vehicles more, getting rid of left over engines and things.

eaglestorm 11-08-2008 07:10 PM

4.7L is the largest eng in dakota (nd) in 07 look at the sticker under the hood ? look where are the spark plugs? 5.2L has plug wires 3.7L &4.7 Ldont they dont even look the same as a 5.2L. they dont use left over parts to make fleet. 2003 they offerd 3.9L 4.7L & 5.9L 1999 was latest to offer 5.2L after that they were 5.9L

oiler 11-08-2008 07:36 PM

The trucks come with a sticker that reads ''Manufactured fo fleet'' on the options window sticker. But the price is right up there with all the rest of em'. Some come stripped, some have a few options, but none ever get issued to me. Maybe when I make it to V.P. of ditch digging.

rabbler 11-08-2008 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by jason.w (Post 1449205)
They do do some things differently with fleet vehicles, but not of lesser quality.

My dad works for the Feds (U.S. Department of Agriculture), and drives a 2007 Dodge Dakota, that is assigned to his county office, to count rancher's livestock, check grain bins, and go to meetings in other parts of the state. It has the 5.2L engine it. I almost flat out told him he was wrong, it couldn't, those have been out of production for so long. But he swears up and down it has the 5.2L, not the 4.7L.

So they do do some things to "strip down" the fleet vehicles more, getting rid of left over engines and things.

Wow!
I'd have to see it to believe it. Like you I was sure the 5.2 was discontinued years ago.
Any chance you can get a pic?