2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

after cold start, truck briefly loses power

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:05 PM
Teeks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after cold start, truck briefly loses power

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Magnum. It's only happened three times so far in the last half a year: after a cold start when pulling out of the drive and accelerating the truck will lose all power where I cannot accelerate whatsoever. The truck doesn't turn off, and regains power after a couple of seconds.

I have a re-manufactured motor with about 60k on it, and I had the transmission rebuilt in late 2015. It didn't go out, but I had all the worn parts replaced. I just recently replaced plugs, cables, distributor cap, rotor. This happened before and after distributor cap and other parts were replaced.

Any ideas what could be causing this? No codes have been thrown, and I just had the catalytic converter checked for clogs. All good. Maybe a sensor? I read somewhere that a bad o2 sensor won't always throw a code.

any help would be appreciated

Old 02-09-2017, 10:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The O2 sensor starts making a difference after a few minutes of the engine running. (heated O2 sensors are great). Trouble is, if you truck won't do it reliably, any test results will be inconclusive...... Could try running it for a while with the front O2 sensor unplugged..... see if it makes any difference. But, by your symptoms, it would be a while before you knew if that was the problem or not.....

Or, if you have more than 100K miles on the sensors, could just replace it..... see what happens.