2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aussie College Kid needs some Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:30 AM
AussieCollegeKid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aussie College Kid needs some Advice.

Hey everyone, I'm an international college student from Australia going to school in the US. I have yet to buy my first car, I am wanting to get one after the summer when I have managed to save enough up.
I'm really interested in the Cummins, from what I hear they are a reliable truck that has excellent milage for something of its calibre. I want a truck because with living up north with all the snow and ice I don't want something thats going to get snowed in by a few inches or have a heart attack on some ice.
I'm not all that familiar with Dodge, as Dodge is not a huge car brand in Australia. Since being here though I have taken a fancy to their trucks, especially the 12v Cummins. I'm looking for something reliable, something that I wont have to keep replacing parts on it every couple months. (as a college student I don't have the money to do that) So, does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any comments and help!!

Last edited by AussieCollegeKid; 03-05-2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

The cummins is an awesome motor. I assume you're looking into a 4wd being up north? It's not going to be the motor that needs attention it will be mist likely steering and front suspension. Any used truck will require parts to an extent just keep in mind that being a 2500 parts generally cost more. A buddy of mine has a regular cab long bed 4wd 12v cummins with stacks, a really nice programmer ( not sure which one), a manual trans on 33's and he gets mid 20 fuel mileage on the interstate. Just really look into the truck before you buy. Good luck, I for one will be jealous of that cummins lol.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:34 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF!

No matter what truck you end up (I hope its a Dodge), make sure and test drive it thoroughly and get an inspection done by a reliable auto shop before purchase. Most shops have a "pre-purchase inspection" (or similar name) that they can do for you for around $100 or less (mine does them for $50). They usually test/inspect the suspension and all the common wear parts, like shocks and brakes, and a few other things like coolant hoses, transmission coolant lines, etc.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 AM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by AussieCollegeKid
Hey everyone, I'm an international college student from Australia going to school in the US. I have yet to buy my first car, I am wanting to get one after the summer when I have managed to save enough up.
I'm really interested in the Cummins, from what I hear they are a reliable truck that has excellent milage for something of its calibre. I want a truck because with living up north with all the snow and ice I don't want something thats going to get snowed in by a few inches or have a heart attack on some ice.
I'm not all that familiar with Dodge, as Dodge is not a huge car brand in Australia. Since being here though I have taken a fancy to their trucks, especially the 12v Cummins. I'm looking for something reliable, something that I wont have to keep replacing parts on it every couple months. (as a college student I don't have the money to do that) So, does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any comments and help!!
One of these trucks is one of the worst choices for a college student. They are VERY expensive to own, and not terribly reliable either. You really don't need to be all that worried about the snow either. This year we had record levels of snow and precipitation, yet I never had a problem getting anywhere in my Integra. I drove from Maine to Connecticut during a Nor' Easter without any problem.

A light frontwheel drive car will almost always out perform an obese 4x4 truck in foul conditions. Not to mention, will be FAR cheaper to own while you're here.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 PM
AussieCollegeKid

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
One of these trucks is one of the worst choices for a college student. They are VERY expensive to own, and not terribly reliable either. You really don't need to be all that worried about the snow either. This year we had record levels of snow and precipitation, yet I never had a problem getting anywhere in my Integra. I drove from Maine to Connecticut during a Nor' Easter without any problem.

A light frontwheel drive car will almost always out perform an obese 4x4 truck in foul conditions. Not to mention, will be FAR cheaper to own while you're here.
I understand that it might cost more to maintain a truck, but I really want a truck, always have. So i Figured why not get one with decent milage and one that can run well into the 300,000 mile mark? Also, there is safety to think of, crashing in a truck is a lot safe than crashing in a sedan.

Btw, thank you everyone for posting on this! Its been really helpful! If you think of anything else that you think I should know, please do post !!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:42 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Alot of cummins powered truck are work trucks.
Try to find a seller that has proof of maintenance.
I would also look for manual tranny rather then auto.
Autos if not maintained can be a weak point.
I do have a friend with 2001 3500 and the auto tranny lasted to
450,000 miles before dying.
He also had the fluid changed in it every 70,000 miles.
He hauls utility trailers and cars on a regular basis, its his bussiness.

Dave

Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

What year was the 53? block used, that had the part of the block that liked to break off?? Was it 98??

Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM
TheBigRedOne

Originally Posted by AussieCollegeKid
I understand that it might cost more to maintain a truck, but I really want a truck, always have. So i Figured why not get one with decent milage and one that can run well into the 300,000 mile mark? Also, there is safety to think of, crashing in a truck is a lot safe than crashing in a sedan.

Btw, thank you everyone for posting on this! Its been really helpful! If you think of anything else that you think I should know, please do post !!
Uh.. No man. Not at all true. These trucks get trash mileage, and only a handful make the 200k mark, much less 300. Also they are horrifically unsafe. They were the worst in their model year for truck safety. They scored "Poor" across the board. They will drive away from a light accident no problem. But a real no **** accident will probably leave you dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6HCJo8hxiU

Maintenance is a bitch in a fullsize. Good OEM sized tires alone for one of these trucks will run you not far south of $1000 for something like a basic Michelin.

Buy something newer, and smaller. A Ranger, Frontier, or newer Dakota would be good choices. A fullsize isn't.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

The diesels (which is what he is talking about buying) make it to 300K on a regular basis. Hell, they are just getting broke in. If he can find one in reasonable condition, they are worthwhile trucks to have.

Diesels also can get into the 20's for fuel economy...... so, if he really wants to buy a dodge truck.... diesel is definitely the way to go. Although, I WILL concede that they command a premium price......

Old 03-05-2011, 09:21 PM
TheBigRedOne

Rigghht. But what about the transmission, differentials, bushings, joints, shafts, hubs, pumps, etc that have 200k miles on them?

Just because something has a reliable engine doesn't change the fact that it still has miles on it. Old and tired, is old and tired.

Quick Reply: Aussie College Kid needs some Advice.