2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Relex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Speakers

Right now I have two Rockford Fosgate 10" subs in my truck but my drivers side from speaker is blown out so I'm thinking of replacing those speakers soon.

I don't really know too much about audio stuff... I don't want to buy junk but at the same time I can't afford to get the best either. I was doing some looking around on ebay and found these.

Kenwood

Pioneer
Rockford Fosgate
Alpine

Those were some affordable speakers I found while searching ebay quickly.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:53 AM
Bloodknight80
Rookie

I used to have Pioneer 6x9's in my old Plymouth scamp and they sounded awesome. They were very affordable and they produced great sound from the low to the high sound range. They even sound better when you add a small amp to them. I haven't had any experience with the other brands but I'm sure you'll find someone on here that has. I say go to a store that has a decent audio section that will allow you to hear speaker combinations and it should help you with your decision, then you will be able to find what you like and try to find something cheap whether it be ebay or another site. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally am not very fond of pioneer's speakers. IMO I would look into infinity, kenwood, or alpine.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Relex
Veteran

I think I'm going to go checkout what BestBuy has tomorrow, I know their prices are going to be high but I guess I'd rather pay someone else to put them in for me so i don't have to deal with the headache.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:13 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

They are relatively easy to put in, but by all means, if you have the $$$, get it done by professionals. That way if they muck it up, they'll fix it.

If you have a friend, or a friend of a friend, who works at Best Buy, get them to buy the speakers for you. Best Buy usually has 50%-100% mark-up on car audio stuff. I work at Best Buy, and I got my Infinity speakers for a few dollars shy of half the retail price, and my head unit for about 2/3, because employee discount is 5% above Best Buy's actual cost.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:17 AM
Relex
Veteran

Best Buy wants $70 for installation and this other audio placed I checked out wanted $60 an hour. Once I get the money for speakers, I guess I'll try to figure it out myself. I know the speakers are going to be easy to install its just the door panel going back on part is going to be a pain.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:54 AM
dblj16380
Veteran

Personally I have had pretty good luck with Pioneer as well. I have also heard great things about Infinity and Alpine. I don't care for Kenwood though. I haven't specifically tried the 6X9's but I have tried a Kenwood amp and 2 12" subs and I wasn't impressed at all with the sound quality.

As far as installation. The bottom half of the door is just held on with the plastic door panel clips and maybe a couple of screws and then the top edge rides in the window slot. Just be careful when you remove it to constantly check for screws. I know there is a couple in the spot for your hand and maybe one by the mirror, but there may be more.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 PM
ophidia
Captain

Anybody know what the max mounting depth is in the doors of our trucks? That's something to consider, too. It sucks *** to get your speakers, rip your doors apart, start putting them in, and they hit something before you get them all the way in. Been there, done that.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dblj16380
Personally I have had pretty good luck with Pioneer as well. I have also heard great things about Infinity and Alpine. I don't care for Kenwood though. I haven't specifically tried the 6X9's but I have tried a Kenwood amp and 2 12" subs and I wasn't impressed at all with the sound quality.

As far as installation. The bottom half of the door is just held on with the plastic door panel clips and maybe a couple of screws and then the top edge rides in the window slot. Just be careful when you remove it to constantly check for screws. I know there is a couple in the spot for your hand and maybe one by the mirror, but there may be more.
I didn't like Kenwood either. I had a good laugh when my father spent twice as much on a sound system than I did; went with all Kenwood componets, and I can still blow his truck out of the water. The other day, I fire the truck up and go through my stero wame up cycle, and the damn amp to the subs got hot as hell. Went to a freind at an audio shop and the cross over was fried. that was a power acoustic amp. I go home pissed until I remember that I bought the four year warranty on it from Bestbuy. I go and fight with them for a little bit and finally got them to accept the warranty. I had 150 to work with, so I picked up the Kenwood 1000w KN-8104D amp. I am impressd so far....

Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pioneer makes Premier. I don't like Pioneer but I do like Premier speakers. I don't like Sony or Infinity. I have Kenwoods in my truck and they are ok. Maybe new RF speakers are good but I've always thought they were only good for subs and amps. I personally like Alpine.

You need to go listen to them though. And listen to the same speaker in different stores. It depends on what you hear and like.

Quick Reply: New Speakers