2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

general question on suspention lifts

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
MAJohns
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general question on suspention lifts

which is the best lift as far as parts longest travel and so forth?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
MAJohns
Captain

Bump!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 PM
helms
All Star

i think this really depends on how high you want to go and how much money you want to spend. you can get cheap lifts that use stock springs with spacers, or you can go nuts with remote-resevoir coilovers.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
MAJohns
Captain

yea i am just looking for a kit that comes with shocks and all the stuff not the spacers and not add a leaf. and i was wondering how much travel you would get. i was thinking on maybe a 5in. lift.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
ron333
Captain

Whichever you go with, I would vote for spending the extra money and stay away from lift blocks on the rear leaf springs. That's what I have and they aren't the greatest. I am looking to replace them with Skyjacker 6" lift softride springs, but I need to find out the best place to buy them from and the money to do so. The blocks aren't as stable as the new springs would be, and the long U-bolts are always working themselves loose every few thousand miles. Mine has 6" worth of blocks under the stock leaf springs, and this setup sucks.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 PM
helms
All Star

Originally Posted by ron333
Whichever you go with, I would vote for spending the extra money and stay away from lift blocks on the rear leaf springs. That's what I have and they aren't the greatest. I am looking to replace them with Skyjacker 6" lift softride springs, but I need to find out the best place to buy them from and the money to do so. The blocks aren't as stable as the new springs would be, and the long U-bolts are always working themselves loose every few thousand miles. Mine has 6" worth of blocks under the stock leaf springs, and this setup sucks.
you may want to look into anti-wrap bars it will keep your rear from twisting under torque. as for the u-bolts comming loose, thats wierd, make sure the bolts are completely parallel when tightening.
but overall i guess the new spring would be better, as long as you can achieve the lift without getting a killer harsh ride, it would be a pretty intense arch.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
ron333
Captain

Yeah, I forgot to mention the issue with the axle twisting under acceleration as well. I hadn't heard of the anti-wrap bars. I'll look into them as well. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 PM
MAJohns
Captain

my truck already has 3in. blocks under it. is that stock? thats how it was when i bought it but the front is stock. i would like either 5 or 6 in and dont wanna fool with a body lift i have done them before and they are allot of trouble and realy no ground clearance. but i do want somthing soft. if you could send some links on here on some good lifts. thanks

Old 01-11-2009, 08:03 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MAJohns
my truck already has 3in. blocks under it. is that stock? thats how it was when i bought it but the front is stock. i would like either 5 or 6 in and dont wanna fool with a body lift i have done them before and they are allot of trouble and realy no ground clearance. but i do want somthing soft. if you could send some links on here on some good lifts. thanks

The rear blocks are stock.

Many company's sell great lift kits for the 2nd gen dodges. Skyjacker, RCD, Fabtech, BDS, Extreme Suspensions, Pure Performance... there are several excellent kits. Just do searching on them and you will decide which kit would suite you best.

They all typically will have the same spring rate as stock so it will ride just as good (often better than stock). Some have slightly longer control arms that mount in the stock locations, while others have long arms (some just the lower arm) that mount in a new bracket. Most company's offer a 5" kit (although some have 6" or 7" kits).

The long arm set ups will typically offer more flex/travel and ride better.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:29 PM
MAJohns
Captain

ok thanks

Quick Reply: general question on suspention lifts