2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

$3,000 tax return... what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xskylinedx
I guess if I were to spend the money on performance parts rather than a tranny this is
what I would do......
Hughes Iron Ram Heads, spring kit, hardend rods, 1.6 roller rockers, compcams custom
ground cam (about $2,000 all together), compcams double roller timing chain, water pump,
sct tuner, and some gears (4.10 or 3.92).
This way you would eliminate any future problems with cracked heads, the timing chain
wouldn't be worn out, the water pump would be in good shape, the tuner would take
care of torque management and deathflash, and oh yeah.... it would haul ***.
just my 2 cents.
That does sounds like a kick *** set-up.. but I've been sold on the Harland Sharp's 1.7's, but I do have limited funds as of now.. I don't want to blow the whole 3,000.. but with the brakes, shocks, and tint.. I have just enough left for the fastman 52mm TB, Harland Sharp's, and Superchips 3815

Old 02-28-2009, 08:41 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by iwhitne
That does sounds like a kick *** set-up.. but I've been sold on the Harland Sharp's 1.7's, but I do have limited funds as of now.. I don't want to blow the whole 3,000.. but with the brakes, shocks, and tint.. I have just enough left for the fastman 52mm TB, Harland Sharp's, and Superchips 3815
im doing pretty much same as you keeping my truck as a daily driver and haveing fun with some bolt ons , i like all 3 fastman,RR,and superchips, notice performance with all and i have 3.55 gears, you put all 3 on at once it will feel like a viper lol .have fun with it , i know i did, now i want more

p.s it gets addicting

Old 03-01-2009, 11:00 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lastrights
im doing pretty much same as you keeping my truck as a daily driver and haveing fun with some bolt ons , i like all 3 fastman,RR,and superchips, notice performance with all and i have 3.55 gears, you put all 3 on at once it will feel like a viper lol .have fun with it , i know i did, now i want more

p.s it gets addicting
I'm getting soooo excited!! I can't wait!! I was wondering if you have any problems with the superchips if you have it on the performance setting and are running 89 in the tank? And how much mpg are you getting... best worst?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you change your withholding yet? You're going without $250/month and loaning that money to the government interest free. Not a wise move, and even at a piddly 2% interest in a savings account, that's better than going without every month and getting a sudden *windfall* at tax time.

Work smarter, not harder.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Talking

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Did you change your withholding yet? You're going without $250/month and loaning that money to the government interest free. Not a wise move, and even at a piddly 2% interest in a savings account, that's better than going without every month and getting a sudden *windfall* at tax time.

Work smarter, not harder.
I make $ 1,800-2,000 a week for 7 months out of the year.... the other 5 months I get $400 a week from unemployment... I really could care less if the gov't gets a little loan from me each year! The anyone wanna go lay blacktop now?!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I make $ 1,800-2,000 a week for 7 months out of the year.... the other 5 months I get $400 a week from unemployment... I really could care less if the gov't gets a little loan from me each year! The anyone wanna go lay blacktop now?!
Must be nice not to care about money since you've proven with the above statement you're a financial dufus.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

I'm getting soooo excited!! I can't wait!! I was wondering if you have any problems with the superchips if you have it on the performance setting and are running 89 in the tank? And how much mpg are you getting... best worst?
i run 89 on 91 setting all the time no problems , it does run better with 91 but no pinging or nothing like that

Old 03-01-2009, 03:07 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Must be nice not to care about money since you've proven with the above statement you're a financial dufus.
I get this much back because I get one more college credit since I graduated college during the last year. I also get deductions for work related safety clothing and work wear. Next year I will prolly only get about $1,000 back. I enjoy getting a large return because it gives me the ability to fix up my truck for another year of abuse. I know you prolly don't give the gov't an extra penny ever.. and you prolly hate taxes as well. But the next time you drive down a road.. think where the money comes from to build an maintain it. My wife's father is also a retired PA. He gets me every penny I can get. Furthermore, why are you name calling? We are on here for one reason. 2nd gen rams.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I get this much back because I get one more college credit since I graduated college during the last year. I also get deductions for work related safety clothing and work wear. Next year I will prolly only get about $1,000 back. I enjoy getting a large return because it gives me the ability to fix up my truck for another year of abuse. I know you prolly don't give the gov't an extra penny ever.. and you prolly hate taxes as well. But the next time you drive down a road.. think where the money comes from to build an maintain it. My wife's father is also a retired PA. He gets me every penny I can get. Furthermore, why are you name calling? We are on here for one reason. 2nd gen rams.
Must be nice my dad works for the R&R and they told him that he needs to get the shrits with the reflective strip on it and they said buy it yorself. I think that is class 2?

Old 03-02-2009, 11:10 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Must be nice my dad works for the R&R and they told him that he needs to get the shrits with the reflective strip on it and they said buy it yorself. I think that is class 2?
Yes ANSI Class II Reflective vests... We are requirred to wear ANSI Class III during night operations. I'm pretty sure they should give him vests for free, but if he wants to wear the shirts that have the reflective stripe, he'll have to buy those himself. My company gives use safety point for every 120 hours we work without an injury. Those point then can be saved up and cashed-in for stuff like safety shirts, hard hats, coffee mugs, overall, carharts, lawn chairs, lunch boxs, and stuff like that. You end up getting about 2 points per month, depending on the weather and how many hours you can get in. By late August, we usually average about 60-70 hours a week.

Quick Reply: $3,000 tax return... what should I do?