2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yup, my plenum gasket was toast (pics)

Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the rebuild did not go as planned. I should have listened to you guys and bought new injector O rings. Two of them broke when I put the fuel rails back on so all truck does is spew fuel everywhere. I should be able to fix that in a second tomorrow and then we'll see if I actually fixed the plenum or made it worse.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Well, the rebuild did not go as planned. I should have listened to you guys and bought new injector O rings. Two of them broke when I put the fuel rails back on so all truck does is spew fuel everywhere. I should be able to fix that in a second tomorrow and then we'll see if I actually fixed the plenum or made it worse.
With age comes experience I always advocate replacing seals, O-rings, and the like when performing maintenance because they are consumable parts that perform a vital function. It never ceases to amaze me to see people drop $$$$ on HIPO alternators, rims, intakes, stereos, and other pieces/parts but quibble about a dollar or two to install new seals, gaskets, or O-rings.

Make sure you lube them with light oil (PBlaster works great) when installing them.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Iceman_CH2

Why did you remove the fuel rail? When I did mine I just unhooked the fuel line and removed the whole thing as one unit. replaced the gasekt the reinstalled.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:22 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by Iceman_CH2
Why did you remove the fuel rail? When I did mine I just unhooked the fuel line and removed the whole thing as one unit. replaced the gasekt the reinstalled.
I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the fuel line. I bought a 3/8" disconnect tool but I still couldn't get the dang thing off. I know now that it would have been a LOT easier to just take it out as one unit, but, it's too late now.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Are you talking disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel rail? Hell, that's easy! Pinch either side of that clip with the thumb and index finger on each hand and push up.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:08 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Are you talking disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel rail? Hell, that's easy! Pinch either side of that clip with the thumb and index finger on each hand and push up.
Yeah I am talking about disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel rail but it must be a different set up for your '97 becaue thers's not really a clip it's more of a compression fitting. I guess it was just so rusty that they welded themselves together. Oh well, I got the whole thing sorted out.

Took me 2 trips to the part store and 6 attemps to get all 4 injectors on the drivers side to seal right. It seemed like everytime I fixed one seal I would just destroy another. The truck runs GREAT now and and there's absolutely no pinging. Plus my truck heats up twice as fast with the new thermostat. I put some Seafoam in the oil and in the gas to clean everything up nice. I'm gonna do an oil change thursday and after that I should be all set.

One question though, are the little metal clips that hold the injectors to the fuel rails essential? Or can I run without them for a while? Two of them went shooting across the engine bay while I was trying to install them and I never found them. Nothing seems to be leaking now but I just want to make sure.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
ophidia
Captain

It would probably be a good idea to replace them. You don't want fuel to start shooting out at the wrong time and start a fire!

When I did mine I had problems getting the fuel line off as well. I ended up cutting the flexible line between the rails and just flopping the left rail over. I wanted to pull the injectors so I could clean them and the intake was so nasty and dirty that I wanted everything off of it so I could clean it. I replaced that line with some standard issue high pressure fuel line and a couple of hose clamps.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Gary-L
Legend

If you want an engine fire, don't replace them. They're there for a reason. Detroit doesn't design anything with unnecessary parts and pieces. You're asking for trouble running without them.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did new o-rings when I did my plenum. Cheap investment in my opinion. Go with Viton o-rings, they are the best material. Cheap o-rings from a parts store could spell trouble down the road when they start to break down.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:34 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

those little clips keep the injector from separating from the rail and leaking fuel everywhere.

NO clips = DEATH!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yup, my plenum gasket was toast (pics)