2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

finding gears, need some help!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default finding gears, need some help!

So I pulled the VB today and installed the Sonnax kit, at least as much as I could without pulling the VB all apart. Not a fun job. I'll post pics up shortly, but I have a small problem that I need solved first:

When I cycle thru the gears on the shifter column, there's a firm transition from Park to Reverse to Neutral. But if I shift to drive, it's soft and I have to actually pass "D" just a bit and go back on the indicator. What's more, it gets softer as I go past D, 2, 1 and I'm not even getting 1st gear only to engage even though I've gone all the way past 1 on the indicator.

I was extremely meticulous on the VB rebuild so I don't think it's that. I'm not sure if the linkage on the outside is adjustable any, so if somebody knows, let's here it.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, it is adjustable from under the truck. When I installed my body lift, all I did was adjust it from down there instead of welding in a 3" rod.

I know exactly what you are talking about though... my truck shifts the exact same way. By the time it gets down to 2nd and 1st, the indicator is a little off and it doesn't feel like the shifter itself is actually locked in gear. I would adjust it, but I am worried the adjustment screw is seized in its place

Old 03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

got it! I had some play (only about 1/4") where the linkage connected to the VB. The throttle linkage was not fully seated atop the detent post.

Thanks for the help, Olyelr. I did'nt have to fiddle with the adjustment screw.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by olyelr
Yep, it is adjustable from under the truck. When I installed my body lift, all I did was adjust it from down there instead of welding in a 3" rod.

I know exactly what you are talking about though... my truck shifts the exact same way. By the time it gets down to 2nd and 1st, the indicator is a little off and it doesn't feel like the shifter itself is actually locked in gear. I would adjust it, but I am worried the adjustment screw is seized in its place
According to the FSM that screw is only 100 inch/lbs tight at factory spec. I'd get after it, unless you've heard some horror stories over at PS about it.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
According to the FSM that screw is only 100 inch/lbs tight at factory spec. I'd get after it, unless you've heard some horror stories over at PS about it.

I have not heard anything bad about it before. But, I haven't actually stuck my head up there and looked at it since I put the body lift on over 9 years ago... and I can remember trying to adjust the one on my dads truck a few years back and there was no way it was gonna loosen without breaking. Gotta love all the salt they spread on the roads...

Good to hear you got yours fixed. I was kinda thinking it would be odd that you would have to adjust that when you didn't do anything to it in the first place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: finding gears, need some help!