2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will 2WD Axles Work W/ My 4X4 Truck? (D60/70 Swap)

Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 2WD Axles Work W/ My 4X4 Truck? (D60/70 Swap)

I'm looking for a D60 front and D70 rear to swap into my half ton (as I hope to make it into a "mud truck" soon). But will axles from a 2wd cummins work with my 4wd 1500? Will just the D70 rear swap over and not the D60 front, or neither? Can I just hook up my CAD to the D60 somehow or is that not possible? How could I make it work?

Here's what I'm looking at buying: http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/pts/3045482050.html

He didn't say if it was a manual or auto--I'm hoping auto so it'll be a D60/70 set. And he didn't state if it was 4x4 or 2wd. I emailed him a few days ago and again today but no response yet. But if he does respond and says its a D60/70 set from a 2wd truck will it work out? I already know everything that has to be changed to fit 3/4 ton axles onto mine; driveshaft length, u-joints, yokes, spring perches etc. so I dont need to know about that.

*Also, is there anything else I should ask to take from his truck? I don't think T-case or driveshafts will work since our cab size is different, so anything else?

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 05-31-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Since you have to change driveshaft length in any event.... the t-case sure wouldn't hurt. (his should be a 241DHD.... MUCH stouter than the 231 in your truck now.) Front axle will be pretty much a direct bolt-on. Bolt sizes in the control arms are different, but, if you install the lift at the same time, shouldn't be a problem. Don't know if the rear is different... I wouldn't think so, but, the engineers do some odd and strange things on occasion....

Old 05-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a 4x4 truck in the link you posted. Also, I think it is a 5.9 gas motor, and if it is, they will be a 60/60 set. All the info on swapping to bigger axles can be found in this thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ts-needed.html

Also, I don't know what you mean by a 60 front end in a 2wd truck. 2wd's have IFS, and also no T-case...

Old 05-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Oh okay that makes sense. I'll see if he will sell the t-case and for how much.
I don't have the funds right now to buy a lift, axles, tires, etc. so I was hoping to just do axles for now. Or I can just buy them, clean/paint them, and get them ready for when I do the lift (probably after college).

And because of the difference in bolt size holes, does that mean I just need new bolts for a 2500 or will I have to modify the bolt holes or what? (that is, if I install the axles before lifting).

Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm I am not sure what the question is, but if you buy the 8 lug axles, you need 8 lug wheels. Try to get them with the axle purchase...

Seriously, read that thread (oh, and the one I linked to in it, and the one linked inside that one too )

Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 2x1972
That's a 4x4 truck in the link you posted. Also, I think it is a 5.9 gas motor, and if it is, they will be a 60/60 set. All the info on swapping to bigger axles can be found in this thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ts-needed.html
Edit: just got an email..its gasser. So it's got 60/60 axles and a regular 241t-case. Not really what I wanted. He said he'd give me the truck for $1000 but I don't rly need a whole truck. Maybe I'll just take the front d60 and keep looking for a d70 for the rear.

I cant rly search around now since im on my phone but the d70 is much better than the d60 right? I know it has bigger shafts, bigger this and that, so its stronger but is the d60 really that bad-I could upgrade shafts but won't that run me more money than just buying a d70?

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Also, I don't know what you mean by a 60 front end in a 2wd truck. 2wd's have IFS, and also no T-case...
Yeah, sorry thats what I thought. nevermind.

I know I need 8-lug wheels..I'm trying to buy a set of 4 tires/rims off someone elses 2500 for $125. The tread is around 60% so I'll probably just use their rims and my tires.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 05-31-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will 2WD Axles Work W/ My 4X4 Truck? (D60/70 Swap)