2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hissing sound???

Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 PM
quadracer18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hissing sound???

My truck has a hissing sound when Im driving it. It seems like at certain points on the gas it tends to do it. If i floor it, i cant hear it as well as coast. it seems like 1/2 on the gas seems to cause a hissing from under the hood. It didnt do this until the other day when i changed my oil/filter and air filter. When I took the air box off to put the filter in, the gasket that goes between the airbox and throttle body was broken i two peices. I called napa to order one but they didnt have any so I put the airbox on without a gasket until i get the chance to order one. Could this make the noise?? I was thinking that maybe it was sucking air making the hissing noise.

Also, It seems like one of the rollers is making noise for the serpintine belt. It sounds like it coming from the belt tensioner? How can I tell if this is the cause? do these go out often? Its around the area of the serpintene belt tensioner and alternator. I dunno whats going on but its bothering me..

Lastly, I also hear a squeek in the cab when I accelerate on the gas as well as sometimes when i shut the truck off. it sounds like its coming from the glove box area. Is this a problem? What is it? Thanks!

Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:49 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

The hissing sound is undoubtedly caused by the missing gasket ... if you just worked on something and you notice a change ... expect to find the problem in that area.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:52 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Could also be a vaccum hose is leaking or broken, especially on the EGR valve.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:55 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Also, release the tension on the tensioner pully and spin it by hand. If it wobbles or doesn't spin freely. it's time to get a new one. For the squeek in the glove box and the hiss, check the vaccum control hoses on the HVAC temperature control valve.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:58 PM
ophidia
Captain

That's exactly what mine did when I broke that gasket. I got my replacement at Advance Auto Parts for like 2 bucks. Oh, and the next one at O'Reilly's for about 2 bucks. I accidentally chewed up the first replacement when I was putting the air box back on later.

The Fel-pro ones seem to be a lot more flexible and resilient than the OEM one was. Of course, it was probably also the original...

Old 04-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

either the air box gasket, or the throttle body gasket.... Use some carb cleaner and spray around your air box and throttle body and see if it has a leak.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:58 PM
J415
Champion

as far as the pulleys, spray some PB Blaster on the idler pulley and the tensioner and let it soak. Don't over think it. start with the obvious answer and take it from there.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:56 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

i had no idea there was a gasket that went between the intake and tb...guess i'll be getting one of those :-D

Last edited by wjxavier; 04-11-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:00 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

I have to ask: are there really hat many Dodges missing the gasket under the filter housing? If so why? If not, why would that be the first thing to check? As I have mentioned before, my professional experience is with Ford/GMC and what I menioned was the most common answer. Having owned Dodge trucks my whole life, I have never experienced the above mentioned, although the broken vaccum hose on the heat control valve did dry rot and a simple hose replacement fixed it.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:54 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

The gasket between the air box and the gasket between the intake in the throttle body, are a felt type gasket. Once they get hot, they seal and become almost like plastic in texture. Back during the summer, I was trying to find out why I was getting 10 mpg, and while doing that, I sprayed carb cleaner all over the TB to see if there was a leak of some kind. I didnt find any leaks, but I pulled the TB off anyways. Once I got the tb off, about half gone. I changed that out, and my miles started to go back up....???
I assume that over time, these gasket will deterioate from getting hot and cold all the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hissing sound???