2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Head Gasket (long read)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:54 PM
97black_ram
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket (long read)

So my luck has ran out. Last week my header core went out so I just pulled the hoses from under the hood and bypassed the heater core. It will work for now.

Now I'm sure my head gaskets are gone again. I just replaced them about 20k ago. I am a half-quart over full of oil and my reservoir is empty and wasn't the end of last week. The air breather that goes into the driver valve cover is all wet on the inside.

So will all that, my question is which head gasket kit should I go with? I already have the felpro gaskets in their and they obviously didn't hold up.

I'm open to all options. I've checked around on jegs, summit and local stores; I just wanted to get some more opinions before I dig in this weekend.

Oh and since I'm pulling the head I will do the hughes plenum upgrade.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM
97black_ram
Captain

Could it be the Timing chain cover gasket at the water pump? To my knowledge they haven't been replaced.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

did you follow the torque sequence and go around the head bolts in sequence 20 ft/lbs at a time? Did you reuse the head bolts?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
97black_ram
Captain

I can't remember so I would have to say no I didn't follow sequence but I did put them at the proper torque spec. And yes I reused the same head bolts.

1) Could I get lucky and take the valve cover off and re-check the torque on the head bolts?

2) Should I still consider replacing the timing chain cover gasket?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

no, the silicone coating on the gasket is more than likely deformed and won't seal correctly.

I've had really good luck with most Felpro products I've used. If you're going in that deep but not going the hughes kit route just yet, check out the upper end gasket kit here: www.rockauto.com

It's about $50 cheaper than a parts store and they ship pretty quickly.

If you're going to take the timing cover off, spend the extra $50 on a new timing set.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
97black_ram
Captain

FEL-PRO Part # 540SD Head gasket - site isn't explict if this includes one or both sides
CLOYES Part # C3028X {High Performance} timing gear set
FEL-PRO Part # MS95392 {Set} intake manifold gasket

That's an awesome site. Yes, since I'm going in that far I will do the hughes plenum upgrade.

So the question is do I just go all the way and replace all the head gaskets again, and another question, should I use rtv sealer or just put them on?

Also since I'm already half way their just tear down the front and put a new water pump and timing gear set with gaskets there as well.

I'm not worry about budget, just want my truck all fixed up. It has a trailer to tow in 3 weeks and can't have any engine bay related isues.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

you dont need RTV for the head gaskets, but coating the timing chain cover gasket is a good idea.

I bought the cloyes hd double timing chain, but any should work.

oh yeah, buy new head bolts.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 PM
97black_ram
Captain

I will get new head bolts but don't really understand why I need them, are they like one time use arfter torqued to spec?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:11 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 97black_ram
I will get new head bolts but don't really understand why I need them, are they like one time use arfter torqued to spec?
From what I've gathered, yes, they can be, so its better safe then sorry.

On a side note, how do you like your Destination A/T tires? I'm considering a set for my next tires.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Well for the tires I can't complain. Drove them all winter never used 4wd other than for fun.

Wet handling is great as I drive like 75+ all the time in almost any condition. They don't like the mud though, but give them time and they will get you out, but it's an a/t can't expect much in the mud.

Another weekend under the truck hood, oh well, won't have to do it again anytime soon after this.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket (long read)