DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   X pipe OR H-pipe? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/200485-x-pipe-or-h-pipe.html)

lb79theone 05-13-2009 12:03 AM

X pipe OR H-pipe?

I want to keep the same setup for my exhaust, but want to put in longer tips, a Super 44, and a x pipe or a h pipe.

What "pipe" should I use?

Tell me everything you know about each "pipe" so it will help me with my decision.

Brendon.

:confused:

dakotas ram 05-13-2009 12:17 AM

h is supposed to be louder and raspier

x is more mellow and a little better scavenging

most guys say the better sound from the h is worth the minimal diff in scavenging

nemesis_SS 05-13-2009 12:21 AM

our engines fire like so: LRLLRLRR and its those double pulses which highlight the difference between h and x.
In an H configuration, your basically working with two straight pipes since the gasses rarely make a 90 degree turn - especially at high pressure (why the power gain is lost at high RPMs). So when the gas is travelling very quickly, your still running down one pipe (though there is a slight vacuum effect as one pulse draws up the next pulse on the other side)
In an x config, those double pulses get a better chance to split up at the x junction. So then its like doubling the net diameter of your system.

In either case, your better off than a single exaust.

h pipe:
- cheaper
- less power gain, because the gasses "tumble" which is why you get the next point
- sounds better (more grrrrburble burble burble burble burble pop burble burble)

x pipe:
- more power (at higher RPM range)
- more money
- less ballsey noise becasue gasses travel faster, which is where more power comes from

Mowhawk 05-13-2009 01:57 AM

^ beat me 2 it. Basically you can think of it as a rule of thumb:

X pipe- Performace main issue

H pipe- Sound main issue, still some performance.

IMHO, you should go with the X pipe, your still going to have a great sound with those longer tips and the 44. Unless you plann on running true duels you might as well use an X.

dakotas ram 05-13-2009 02:01 AM

how much can realistically be expected from both?

Mowhawk 05-13-2009 02:10 AM

for our rams....maybe 1 or 2 hp difference

dane25 05-13-2009 02:13 AM

i'd choose H pipe...

dakotas ram 05-13-2009 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mowhawk (Post 1665658)
for our rams....maybe 1 or 2 hp difference

so, its really just what sound you want?

do you think i would be better sticking with my full single 3" turbo or going to duals with an h?

Mowhawk 05-13-2009 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by dakotas ram (Post 1665681)
so, its really just what sound you want?

do you think i would be better sticking with my full single 3" turbo or going to duals with an h?

Well not is not really what sound you want. It does play a roll in performance, what im saying is that with a stock engine and swapping out exhausts it really wouldnt make a difference. An example, Nascar runs X pipes over H pipes cuz it pulls more hp, so in my mind if the 800hp cars think itts good enough so do I. For us though.....not much of a difference.

As for swapping your setup...idk, not sure what would be louder or not. If u like ur sound how it is dont change it, only thing I could really think of tha twould be neat is running duel turbos.

BlueBeast2 05-14-2009 07:10 PM

I've never heard of putting an X or H pipe on a truck. Now if we were talking Mustangs