2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a/c seems like it should be cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Gmann1956
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c seems like it should be cooler...

The a/c in my Dodge Ram 5.2L seemed like it was not blowing cold air. I then had someone check it out. The system was not evacuated, but it was dye tested for leaks (none found), and then topped off with some new freon. Anyway, seems to be cooler than before, but still not cold enough for an 80+ degree day. Is there something else that needs to be checked or done so that it will produce colder air? Would evacuating the system make a difference?

Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran

try cleaning out the condenser unit in the front with a pressure washer the coils could be filthy and not getting good air flow.

or the evap is leaking inside the dash and OH WHAT FUN THAT IS TO REPLACE!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the AC compressor is actually cycling. When I got my truck back from the body shop, the air was cold, then it got warm. You could give it gas, and it would get cold again. Turns out the compressor was going bad. Actually broke the cylinder in it.
use a screw driver, or an engine stethoscope to see if you can hear it cycling through.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

When mine wasn't keeping up with the 80+ heat, took it to my Meineke (my first major experience with them) and they did the leak test (none found), topped it off with freon, and they replaced the A/C clutch as that was "weak".

Now its the best A/C I've ever had.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:08 AM
capsap33
Amateur

You know what - that "evap is leaking inside the dash " might explain that water sloshing sound I here in my dash at start up and why the A/C was blowing cold after freon add but a few weeks later it's not blowing cold - thx dudes

Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Silver360
Amateur

I have an idea for you. I have not had any AC problems or repairs but I wanted it to be a little better/colder. I went to the hardware store and picked up a roll of heat reflective tape and spent about an hour wrapping it around the rubber and metal hoses - basically all the parts that were cold or cool to the touch after the AC was running for about a minute. I feel a significant difference after the AC has been going for over a minute but then again I have to look at my foil party every time I open the hood

Old 05-15-2009, 02:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by capsap33
You know what - that "evap is leaking inside the dash " might explain that water sloshing sound I here in my dash at start up and why the A/C was blowing cold after freon add but a few weeks later it's not blowing cold - thx dudes

The water sloshing around noise you here, has nothing to do with the evap core.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:31 PM
capsap33
Amateur

what might that water sloshing sound be then?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The heating system is low on coolant and/or you have a leak in it.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by capsap33
what might that water sloshing sound be then?
air in the cooling system going through the heater core. you could bleed it out and hope for the best but theres a chance you have a leaking heater core or have a coolant leak somewhere that is letting air into it. when i first got mine the dealer replaced the radiator cap because of that same noise and it fixed it. then last winter after i changed my heater core mine had it for a little while till i bled it a couple times and that made it go away.

if there isn't a leak in the ac lines, then completely drain your 134a and have a vacuume put on it so the first can of 134a will fill it with nothing but the oil and coolant (can upside down) then the next can or 2 will replace the rest of it and it'll be like the north pole pouring outta your vents. my dads compressor burned up last summer so he replaced it and i took it to a friends shop and he put his vacuume pump on it and filled it and now its very cold. i think it was something like 30psi

on a side note, driving in 2nd gear for about 10 miles doing 50-60mph with the ac on will burn out your ac compressor. that wouldn't happen on my truck because the exhaust would let you know it was in 2nd as soon as you hit about 35mph.

Quick Reply: a/c seems like it should be cooler...