2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Temp Sensor Location?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:24 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Coolant Temp Sensor Location?

I have a 1999 Ram 2500 with V10 and was wanting to check the coolant temp sensor because of some hesitation and stumbling on acceleration when the engine is not warmed up yet. I looked in my manual and the picture of the location does not show what I see under my hood. Am I overlooking something or does anybody know of a misprint on this. I see the temp sending unit with the two wires coming off of it for the gauge function and there is a spot next to it in the thermostat housing that looks like it was meant to have the coolant temp sensor drilled into it (matching where my manual says it should be) but nothing is there. Any help? thanks

Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Jylee968
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I change the water pump and thermostat on the v8 engine, I notice the sensor is next to the thermostat. It is behind the AC compressor, you may have to move the compressor to the side.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 PM
racefan41
Captain

Thanks, I'll look around under there.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:43 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If the v10 is close to the same as the v8, the one you could see is the only temp sensor. I think in later 97 or early 98 dodge switched to a single sensor, which runs the computer which tell the dash what to say.

2 wire sensor goes to the computer, single wire sensor goes to the dash, if you have 2 sensors..

Last edited by frankie_b_jr; 02-24-2016 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 02-25-2016, 06:26 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
If the v10 is close to the same as the v8, the one you could see is the only temp sensor. I think in later 97 or early 98 dodge switched to a single sensor, which runs the computer which tell the dash what to say.

2 wire sensor goes to the computer, single wire sensor goes to the dash, if you have 2 sensors..
Thanks for your input. The way you described the wire situation is the opposite of how I thought it worked. I may have to just go to the dealer or parts store to see what they are listing for it. I will let you know what I find.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:09 PM
racefan41
Captain

I'm wondering if you would know, if my truck does have the one unit that does both functions, and the dash light and gauge "part" of the unit is functioning correct, would that mean the engine function from the sensor would be working correctly too? Or can it be that the readings between the two are not necessarily in synch?

Old 02-26-2016, 12:32 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
I'm wondering if you would know, if my truck does have the one unit that does both functions, and the dash light and gauge "part" of the unit is functioning correct, would that mean the engine function from the sensor would be working correctly too? Or can it be that the readings between the two are not necessarily in synch?
As far as I know, they will be in sync unless the computer is dying. There is an air temp sensor on the right side of the intake (it pokes into one of the runners) that can cause some goofy fuel stuff to happen. You might see if you can find a way to test it, or plug a scanner into the truck and see what it says. This way will also tell you the water temp the computer is seeing. I don't want to send you buying parts that might not need to be messed with.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:47 PM
racefan41
Captain

As far as I know, they will be in sync unless the computer is dying. There is an air temp sensor on the right side of the intake (it pokes into one of the runners) that can cause some goofy fuel stuff to happen. You might see if you can find a way to test it, or plug a scanner into the truck and see what it says. This way will also tell you the water temp the computer is seeing. I don't want to send you buying parts that might not need to be messed with.
thanks for your thoughts and input and again will let you know what I find. might not be right away....got a couple of other things ahead on the to do list.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Temp Sensor Location?