2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Combo wiper switch or Wiper Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 04:22 AM
Riley R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Combo wiper switch or Wiper Motor?

Hey Everyone, I'm Riley.
A Little about my knowledge is I'm a girl who worked in a Automotive customs shop for 17 yr. So I have enough faith I can take on this task once I figure out what part to buy.
So I have a 2nd Gen Dodge Ram 1500 that I've used for the past 12 yrs as my Farm Truck. This last yr I redid my whole front end after my son hit a deer on his way home one night from work. (This was before he got his own vehicle). I changed my front bumper, all the accessories , changed over to LED Headlights, Driving/Fog lamps, Brake/Taillights and plate lights. New mirrors, and replaced the seat covers. (Yea yea I know). 2 weeks ago she all ready to be advertised when I added new wipers. Filled up my washer fluid, topped off all liquids and fluids. and I went to test the new wipers and they won't come on.
This is a combo switch on my steering wheel with wipers, delay, washer, hi, low and high beams and flasher, signals.
Everything works with the exception of the wipers, flashers, and the green left arrow doesn't light up or even make a sound on the inside BUT works fine outside on the lights themselves.
I've tested and physically checked each fuse, not a single one was bad. So I was going to order a combo switch when someone got in my ear and said it's most likely the washer motor since the switch is still doing almost all things it's supposed to do. But then I think of the flashers not working so then I think it's got to be the switch. I mean how often does a wiper motor go out? Right? I can't tell you how many times I replaced the combo switch on my Mustang. 3 times in 6 yrs. I've watched You tube videos on how to change it out, not hard. Same with the wiper motor. I'd rather not have to do that one because of the height of the truck and I'm not sure I can reach all the screws to get the cover off as I'm 6' and can't reach the middle of my windshield on the passenger side cuz of the antenna being smack dab in the way. I'm way to old to be crawling all over this truck to remove screws. My knees can't take it.
So how do i know which part is bad?/Needs replacing? Thanks so much!
Riley
95 Dodge Ram 1500
Standard Cab, with the 5.9 motor. 4x4

Last edited by Riley R; 10-16-2022 at 04:29 AM. Reason: forgot to add info on the truck
Old 10-16-2022, 10:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Grab the service manual for your truck from here. Verify that you are getting the correct voltages on the correct pins, with the switch in various positions. If that checks out, bad motor. If not, bad switch.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-16-2022, 01:15 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Riley R
I mean how often does a wiper motor go out?
They do fail sometimes. This is how it looked on my '95:

Old 10-16-2022, 07:33 PM
Riley R

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Grab the service manual for your truck from here. Verify that you are getting the correct voltages on the correct pins, with the switch in various positions. If that checks out, bad motor. If not, bad switch.

Welcome to DF!
Thanks, will check it out.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:38 PM
Riley R

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
They do fail sometimes. This is how it looked on my '95:

Yep that's Nasty, but I've seen worse. In my 20's and 30's I used to buy "forgotten backyard cars" and fix them up and make a good bundle on them. I've only recalled ever replacing one wiper motor, so I didn't think it was a very common for them to go out. Guess I know better now.

Quick Reply: Combo wiper switch or Wiper Motor?