1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Neon starts and dies..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:52 PM
vmann
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neon starts and dies..

Sorry about posting it here but the guys on the neon forum are just bolt on addicts and dont know much about real problems. Earlier my dads neon was running fine then he went into a car mechanics shop to do business... 10 minutes later he tries to leave but the car wont turn on. It cranks strong and it will start for a few seconds then it dies. When you try giving it gas it dies even faster. Grabbed my truck and some tow straps and we moved it to the dealership where i work and the guys said they would look at it in the morning. Im thinking maybe a fuel pump and or (hopefully) a fuel pump fuse.

Comments ideas etc.. thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 10:59 PM
ophidia
Captain

Check to see if they pulled the fuel relay in an attempt to drum up some more cash.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:47 AM
vmann
Veteran

wouldn't it not start at all if the relay was taken out (or bad?)

Old 05-30-2009, 02:43 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Could be the fuel pump went out, or fuel filter is clogged. All of a sudden like that, I'd think fuel pump relay or fuel pump, as a filter usually doesn't suddenly clog up all at once like that.

I'd check the relay first. If the fuel pump relay was pulled, the fuel pressure still in the system would run it for a second or two the first time. After that, it will run for one second, then die. And if thats the issue, its a very cheap and easy fix.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not sure about the thing bogging down when you hit the gas but it could be the asd relay. our trucks have them and i think the neons do too, when they go bad it keeps it from idling and makes it run like crap if you can get it to run at all. pop open the fuse box in the engine and swap the asd relay for a non essential one like horn or fog lights and see if that works. if it does have one its worth a shot because it only costs about 30 seconds. it does sound like a fuel delivery problem though.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Skyla Mitchell
Default 2005 neon cranks fine but dies

I have a 2005 neon 2.0 motor we changed radiator then 2 days later the car would crank good but die in about 20 to 30 seconds everytime it cranks good then dies. we changed fuel pump ran good for about 20 miles then we started it to go back home and it started up good but died again. It keeps doing the same thing crank and die. So we changed crankshaft sensor same thing didnt help it. So we changed the idle position sensor same thing crank and die like its running out of gas. The only code we get is p0499. Someone please help with this problem. Thank you

Last edited by Skyla Mitchell; 08-15-2017 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Still having same issues with this car and just replaced the pcm.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyla Mitchell
I have a 2005 neon 2.0 motor we changed radiator then 2 days later the car would crank good but die in about 20 to 30 seconds everytime it cranks good then dies. we changed fuel pump ran good for about 20 miles then we started it to go back home and it started up good but died again. It keeps doing the same thing crank and die. So we changed crankshaft sensor same thing didnt help it. So we changed the idle position sensor same thing crank and die like its running out of gas. The only code we get is p0499. Someone please help with this problem. Thank you
That an evaporative emissions code, I doubt it has anything to do with your no start. Unfortunately, I don't know squat about Neons.....

Old 11-01-2021, 05:56 PM
corypomerinke@ymail.com

Originally Posted by Skyla Mitchell

did you ever figure out the issue as I have had the same issue?

Old 11-01-2021, 11:46 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Have replace the fuel filter?

Old 11-01-2021, 11:57 PM
corypomerinke@ymail.com

I have replaced fuel pump/filter and has good pressure. There are no codes or check lights and the skim red dot does go away and I have change the battery and all grounds, cam positioning sensor, battery temp sensor, air temp sensor, map sensor, tsp sensor, idle air control motor, computer, alternator, and have inspected all the computer wiring harness. And all relays. But it will periodically will start and run fine for a day or two, then you’ll go to start it and it will crank and fire immediately then get to about 1k rpms and shut down.

Quick Reply: Neon starts and dies..