2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

REAR END RIPOFF Dont let this happen to you

Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
duck Blaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down REAR END RIPOFF Dont let this happen to you

I had pinion bearings going out on my truck the seal started throwing oil out so i got a new seal and proceeded to change it.Upon removing driveshaft went to check preload on pinion nut ,i had none .You could spin pinion like no resistance at all and looseness up and down,sideways ,you get the picture.So i get a hold of a J-R TRANSMISSIONS,specializing in drive train repair.I dont have any experience with setting up gears have never had to do it,have done plenty of wrenching doing everything else,after all i drive a dodge you either fix yourself or go broke.Any how i pull axle housing off take it to him he was telling me bearings replacemwith master kit ,fluids 550$.Sounded ok .That was on a monday on weds. he calls me and says gears are no good and carrier needs to be replaced because cross pin was loose in housing.its gonna be $1350.00.At this point im saying to myself ok 250000 miles out of old stuff pretty good lets go ahead and do it with an experienced shop like this should be good for 250000 more .So out comes $700 for down payment.he will order parts .Aweek later i call him to see if my stuff is done and his so called technician tells me that they are waiting on parts .the next day which now is freiday the guy calls me at 630 tells me he just finished doing the build i can come down sat. am and pick it up ,oh yea buy the way total bill is now $1721.17!!!!!!Now im screwed ,so i bite the bullet go pick it up ask him for old parts he gives me r/p gears 2 pinion bearings ,4 races old bolts no carrier .Ask him where is my no good carrier he tells me sent it for core .I dont think to much about it .So i get home with my newely rebuilt 1700$ axle housing start to install axles ,because he thought i brought it in without them putting axles in drug end of axle in housing and as i am lining them up to install look inside and they have got sludge all over end ,i had just cleaned then ,pull back out and look down inside bottom half of tube is got a bunch of sludge mixed in with fine metal shavings the kind that is like fuzz,you know we have all seen it.Now i am pissed.cant get a hold of him till mon.130 pm he says it wont hurt to drive it to his shop and he will drain oil and that will take care of problem .Well i tell him that i stooped installation and i am not going to use it like that ,so he will send ,so called tech pick it up and clean it spottless .guy finnaly shows up at 455 picks it up says wont get to it till next day call my boss make arrangements for me to get it back.So i call boss and tell ask him when i will get axle back .says he will call in an hour let me know .As i write this it is next day and i havent heard any word .Was going to go with tech and take axles for them to install after i think that is part of rebuild but since i was not going to be there to watch left them home i will do it myself,figuring he would proably shove them in and not clean housing figuring out of sight out of mind.Will keep you posted as to outcome. I live in no. calif bay area so i will post further warnings about this guy at every forum ,part store telephone pole nobody will be able to surf any automoytive site without being informed of his f?$#@d up way of buisness,Also will be filing complaint with Beaurea Of Autorepair

Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

wow, im sill having problems understanding whats going on...you need to space that out lol

Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

I think he is saying he has been screwed.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My brain hurts from trying to decipher that rambling diatribe.

Last edited by Gary-L; 03-23-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the guy put the new gears and carrier in without cleaning anything first?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 PM
duck Blaster

Yea pretty much sums it up .I went down to his shop this morning and watched him take all parts out clean housing til you could eat from it ,then watched and checked out reinstallation of all parts ,set up and i double chekked it for proper pattern.Then he brought unit back to my house and even refunded $200.00.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 PM
duck Blaster

I still would not send someone i didnt like to him.The guy is a flake .

Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 PM
xxxcowxboyxxx
All Star

yea hes def a doucher, i wouldnt be bringing anythign back to him ever again. hope he is warrantying his work?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
03neonSE
Veteran

My brain hurts just from reading that...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: REAR END RIPOFF Dont let this happen to you