2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

White vapor out tailpipe and dripping cat converter...

Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White vapor out tailpipe and dripping cat converter...

On my 5.9 Magnum Jeep, i noticed today when i started it the tailpipe had white smoke or vapor coming out the tailpipe, and the cat converter was dripping a river. Once it warmed up to 150f-200 it stopped which was about 1-2 minutes. I tried smelling the exhaust but TBH i havent smelt what coolant in exhaust smells like to know what im smelling for... All i know is it smells like CO2 or something.. I didnt drive the Jeep i turned it off, and then after like 3-4 hours i turned it on again and the temp was down to like 100f. Checked the tail pipe and i saw more vapor but i could barely see it this time i had to really look for it.. Then after 15 seconds or so it was gone.

It is like 59f outside right now, im wondering is that cold enough assuming we have some humidity out here to cause this ? I know engines make vapor like your breath in cold weather but i dunno 59 isnt cold but it isnt warm either. I drove it around for 20m this time, and then went back home waited 5-10m and turned it back on and i didnt see anything out the tailpipe. I was told this test puts maximum pressure on the cooling system and if i had a headgasket problem it would show, but i didnt see anything..

I dunno im a little cautious on this engine because the last 2-3 months i had to replace a ton of cooling system parts, everything but the radiator pretty much.. I should note this morning i turned the Jeep on for like 20 seconds then turned it off until midday and it was like 49f outside in the morning. Im wondering if when i did that it formed a lot of condensation in the exhaust system and it pooled up until i turned it back on later in the day where it burned off and dripped outa the cat.

This is what the tailpipe looked like ... in this video only until it got to like 150f then it stopped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kONPY...layer_embedded

I dunno what do you guys think ?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Burning coolant doesn't really smell that bad, but, it IS an rather nasty irritant. It burns the eyes and nasal passages in a major way. If you could freely take a whiff of your exhaust, and not come away choking and gagging, probably isn't coolant.

How cold was it outside? How long since the last time you drove the Jeep?

There really doesn't seem to be much pressure behind it.... it's just kinda falling out.... how's your cat?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Well that vid isnt my Jeep obviously. My Jeep when its on the exhaust really comes out.. but thats typical for V8's as mine is a single exhaust unlike dodge trucks that are duel.. That car is like a 4 cylinder or something lol.. Oh and yes i could sit there for like 5-10 minutes with my nose in the exhaust pipe breathing in the exhaust with no problem. Like i said it just smells like what a garage smells like when you turn your car on inside it for a second.

It was about 59f outside at the time. Also i mentioned i turned the Jeep on in the morning for like 20 seconds when it was like 50f outside then turned it off like (9am), then in the afternoon (maybe 3PM) when it was 59f outside and i turned it on thats when i noticed the white vapor and dripping cat when i went to the trunk to get something out.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just condensation then. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 PM
candymancan
Veteran

K cause like i've had to replace the waterpump, timing cover gasket and chain, electric fan motor, rad hoses, then that o ring on the heaterpass tube on the waterpump leaked twice on me (stupid design). Now that brand new fan motor is making noises and its only 5 months old..

So like the cooling system on this 5.9 is pissing me off lol...

Old 09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
candymancan
Veteran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYXQYni3zCI
On the video after 1:30 or 1:40 just ignore the rest, as i forgot to turn the camera off and started talking to my friend about it.

There is a video i made today. I started the Jeep up at 6pm (first time today) and it is 63f outside... Sure enough white smoke or vapor was coming out of the tailpipe again.. water dripping from the cat and the tailpipe.. After it warmed up in like 4 minutes it all went away... I had a friend with me to smell the exhaust and he said it just smelt like co2, a strong smell (probably cause it was cold and burns rich when its cold)
I have another video on my youtube page called Just bought it 5.9 grand cherokee, and i made it in oct of last year and if you go to like 4:30 on it the tailpipe is smoking also. So i guess its been doing this since i got it a year ago.. im just not sure if this is normal for these engines when the temp is only 50-60f.. Cause the oil doesnt have coolant in it..

My friend said it could be a bad headgasket but it isnt leaking into the oil just the cylinder.. He said however if it were a headgasket it should be more consitant meaning white smoke all the time and its wierd how it goes away when its warmed up. He said it could also be the cat converter...

He suggested i do a leakdown test on the cylinders... Should I ? How much does that cost ?

Last edited by candymancan; 09-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Dump some fuel system treatment into your gas tank, that also absorbs moisture.

I think what you are seeing is perfectly normal. If your coolant is up to snuff, and you were burning it, you wouldn't be able to stand the smell of the exhaust for more than about a millisecond. Yes, it is THAT bad.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coolant in the exhaust smells sweet to me. Like pancake syrup.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've never seen anyone worry about nothing more than you. How old are you? Have you never seen another vehicle have the same(steam) coming out of the exhaust? Like, only every car is doing when you are stuck in traffic, or at a stop sign or light.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Im 24 and this vehicle is the first i've ever owned and its costed every penny of my savings 2 years ago. Im going through finacial problems (might loose house and stuff), so thats why im worried zman cause i cant have my vehicle die on me also... I guess i could be overly paranoid your right.. sorry

Last edited by candymancan; 09-19-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: White vapor out tailpipe and dripping cat converter...