2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shaker hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 03:31 PM
moparman95
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaker hood

Has anyone purchased the shaker hood kit for their dodge ram? I talked to a guy at the mopar nationals that had one on his 94 dodge ram 1500 4x4 w/ a 318 engine. He said that before he installed the shaker hood and shaker air box he got about 11mpg, and he told me he now gets 19-20mpg. I know its a pretty pricey mod but its worth it if you gain 8+ mpg. I was unaware that this kit was avalible as of yesterday and if anyone knows any pros/cons on it they would be appreciated.

-Dave

Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Shaker hood

I've seen it advertised a few places, and I've read some reviews. Nowhere did anyone mention that they had large gains in gas mileage. And I honestly find it hard to believe that it would net an 8mpg gain. Frankly, I think hoods are a waste of money...especially the ram air variety. To achieve a ram air effect, you have to be going faster than 99mph IIRC. And that's just for 1lb of boost.

Don't always believe what someone tells you at a car gathering. I talked to a guy with a Grand Prix GTP once, and he told me that he had some super secret mods that nobody else had that allowed him to run 12s in the quarter mile with no knock. Being a Grand Prix guy myself, I asked him to show me what he had. Come to find out he had bolt on items that anyone could buy from a number of online retailers....some of which he hadn't even installed correctly. [8D] And they in no way would've gotten him close to 12s...or even his claim of having no knock, since he still had a stock computer.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:09 AM
moparman95
Rookie

I was a little iffy about the 8mpg gain too and thats why I'm on this site getting more opinions from people who actually know what there talking about and can back it up. The shaker hood looks pretty sweet and in reality would allow for much better airflow Im just not sure about rain, bugs, ect. The setup runs about $850.00 through summit so its not a buy for looks for that kind of money If anyone has any input on how this thing performs it would be appreciated. Would I be better off just getting a k&n fipk II intake and a fastman 52mm tb. I've heard a lot of good things about both of them. Im just trying to get a little better gas mileage with a 360.
thanks
-Dave

Old 08-15-2005, 11:01 AM
4DrMopar
Captain

if ya got teh 360, your just hosed, like me... with my 33's I get 10 mpg dead on.....

Old 08-15-2005, 05:09 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: moparman95
I was a little iffy about the 8mpg gain too and thats why I'm on this site getting more opinions from people who actually know what there talking about and can back it up. The shaker hood looks pretty sweet and in reality would allow for much better airflow Im just not sure about rain, bugs, ect. The setup runs about $850.00 through summit so its not a buy for looks for that kind of money If anyone has any input on how this thing performs it would be appreciated. Would I be better off just getting a k&n fipk II intake and a fastman 52mm tb. I've heard a lot of good things about both of them. Im just trying to get a little better gas mileage with a 360.
thanks
-Dave
Yes, you would be much better off with the FIPK and the fastman TB. Despite the high price, all a shaker hood really is there for is looks. It hasn't really been a "functional" item since the 70s. Back then, the air intake would suck air right from under the hood. So getting a cool source directly from the hood was an improvement. But now-a-days, there are tubes running to the front of the vehicle...off to the side...away from the radiator, that feed cool air to the motor. So adding a hood like that doesn't provide much of a performance improvement. Just a visual improvement.

And as far as milage, you should be able to do a bit better than 10 with a 360. I average 13mpg with my 488.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:17 AM
Tani1500
Champion

just my opion but i hate those fiberglass hood. ( thats what it is right. ) they look like something a ricer would have. trucks should be all metal, no crapy fiberglass!

Old 08-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Burning Rom is right, you won't see any performance/mileage gains with any of the aftermarket hoods out there. They're only good for the cool factor. I have a Keystone Viper style hood on my truck, and I've been debating whether or not to use the intake kit for it or just stick with my K&N FIPK. I probably won't see any gains/losses either way.

lol, Tani. My hood's fiberglass, but I'd bet money that you'd never be able to tell unless you tapped on it. Every single person who's asked me about it, including other Ram guys with aftermarket hoods, thought it was a steel hood.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 PM
moparman95
Rookie

I'll probably just stick with the intake and fastman tb. Thanks for all the info everybody.
-Dave

Old 08-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

my dads hood is fiberglass but you could never tell from looking at it... :P

[IMG]local://upfiles/19888/8F47A1A8D79340BF8901F6C835D22A58.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19888/469B0054A3FA4D3F9A6A9D5FDACFF8B2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-20-2005, 07:56 PM
fast360
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i disagree with yall. i personally have the shaker hood on my 98 ram 360. it not only looks really cool, its definately full functional. its actually way better than just a cai, because its stickin out in the open, and it sucks alot of air. also when you add a fastman tb it really rocks.

The following users liked this post:
Michael Corning (10-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Shaker hood