2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tight throttle or maybe loose? I really don't know

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:19 PM
guitarking135
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tight throttle or maybe loose? I really don't know

Ok I bought this truck with alot of problems but I got it cheap so I can't complain so right now

my accelerator has like 1/4 inch then its at the floor. and in addition to this it is really stiff. any ideas what it could be?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:59 AM
wildcat50

Originally Posted by guitarking135
Ok I bought this truck with alot of problems but I got it cheap so I can't complain so right now

my accelerator has like 1/4 inch then its at the floor. and in addition to this it is really stiff. any ideas what it could be?
Sounds like the same problem I am having. There is alot of play in the accelerator pedal. Also its hard to press down when accelerating. Did you figure this issue out?

Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Look at where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body. Sounds like the cable isn't routed properly. The cable should rest in a little curved channel on the butterfly shaft. If you don't know what I'm talking about I can take a picture of it and post it later tonight.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ +1. sounds like your throttle cable is on the wrong side of the guide. top or bottom i can't remember. i connected mine up wrong like that one time. pedal was very stiff and had very little travel. i'll look for a pic.

edit - can't find one. anybody else got one?

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-04-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Here ya go...

Name:  DSCN2615.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  163.8 KB

Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM
wildcat50

Thanks guys. I checked and my cable is routed correctly as in the picture you posted. I pulled on the cable a few times, moving it around and now the gas pedal is no longer hard to press down. Perhaps the cable was bound up somewhere. Before it was really hard to press down and my truck didn't have much power and would take forever to get up to speed. It still has alot of slack in it, however. My mechanic said that it looks like the cable is worn out and has been stretched. You think I should bother replacing it? I saw a posting on here where you can use a fuel line and some clamps as spacers to take up the slack. Thanks again for the replies and the picture.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Buy a new throttle cable for 15 bucks and call it a day. If you rig it up and it sticks wide open you will regret rigging it immediately. I just did mine a few months back due to fraying and it made a world of difference. I wouldn't want to have the responsibility of knowing I killed someone because I was too cheap to replace such a cheap part.

Quick Reply: Tight throttle or maybe loose? I really don't know