DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Sagging Headliner (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/211521-sagging-headliner.html)

oldspartan 08-21-2009 02:51 PM

Sagging Headliner

I'm trying to figure out a decent fix for my headliner. I have a 97 Reg. cab, SLT Laramie. The headliner has come loose in many places above the windshield. I've tried some glue a body shop friend of mine gave me, but it only keeps getting worse. If no ideas on this any thought on how much to replace it?

Sheriff420 08-21-2009 02:57 PM

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/full.aspx?Page=89

360$ here

Miami_Son 08-21-2009 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sheriff420 (Post 1777581)

No Quad Cab?:icon_shrug:

I have another headliner question for anyone that has removed theirs. I want to put Dynamat on the roof to insulate from heat and deaden sound. Is there enough room between the steel and the headliner to do this?

Laramie1997 08-21-2009 04:32 PM

Might be possible. Course it might not allow everything to line up correctly when you are done either.

Trey318 08-21-2009 05:55 PM

I saw someone on DT do that on a 94 SC/SB.

Ram15002ndGen 08-21-2009 06:21 PM

The only insulation I would suggest putting up there would have to be very light weight. The headliner is set up to only hold itself up, and not much of anything else (it's only cheap cardboard). The only points it is secured at are the corners and where the light in the center is located. Anything heavy and it will give.

Oldspartan, don't even bother with any redneck remedies. On my old Camaro I had a sagging headliner and being a kid with little money I tried everything. I tried glues of all types, and even staples, but nothing would work. Finally I broke down and found a local shop that redid it for $100. After that, I had no more problems. Call around to local shops and they can probably redo your old one cheaper than getting a new one, and they will probably match it up just fine.

oldspartan 08-21-2009 06:56 PM

Thanks guys, it looks like I'll be pricing new ones soon.

Miami_Son 08-21-2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ram15002ndGen (Post 1777806)
The only insulation I would suggest putting up there would have to be very light weight. The headliner is set up to only hold itself up, and not much of anything else (it's only cheap cardboard).

Dynamat is self adhesive, foil-backed and only about 3/16" thick. You stick it to the sheetmetal. The headliner does not have to support it. I did all my doors with it and it really cuts the road noise and vibrations down and makes the stereo sound awesome. I want to put it on the roof mainly to cut down on some of the heat that radiates down on my head in the summer and maybe quiet the cab down a little more.

Ram15002ndGen 08-21-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Miami_Son (Post 1777932)
Dynamat is self adhesive, foil-backed and only about 3/16" thick. You stick it to the sheetmetal. The headliner does not have to support it. I did all my doors with it and it really cuts the road noise and vibrations down and makes the stereo sound awesome. I want to put it on the roof mainly to cut down on some of the heat that radiates down on my head in the summer and maybe quiet the cab down a little more.

I have never used it so I don't know the product, but by what you describe I would think you would have no trouble at all. The only places you may have trouble are at the corners, edges, and where it meets the light. In those places you can cut it back 1 or 2 inches and you would have no trouble. The most important part is the self adhesiveness. Above the headliner you have nothing but sheet metal, so if it sticks to that, you are home free.

Sheriff420 08-21-2009 11:32 PM

i thought the truck in question was a quad cab. the regular cab is $299 on that same link.