2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering problem

Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Downriver0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering problem

I have a 94 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Diesel. I replaced the PS pump yesterday and it did't seem to do much good. It is difficult to turn the steering wheel, especially to the right. Could it be the steering box?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:11 PM
97black_ram
Captain

I agree with you on thinking the steering Box. How long has this been going on?

Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think it would be anything below the pitman since it is worse in one direction. Doubtful on the pump as well for the same reason. Should be the same either way. The box is probably toast. Just make sure you get a decent replacement.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Downriver0

This has been going on for a while now. I don't drive it much anymore. I've been putting up with it since I only drive it once every two months. What would you consider to be a decent replacement?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 AM
97black_ram
Captain

Well a new one would be around $200 or probably $50 from a junk yard. I've had good luck with my gear box from the junk yard. Since you dont drive it much I would lean towards a junk yard gear box.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:31 AM
98BlueSport
Professional

i had a shop in town here tell me that they dont make new steering boxes for these trucks. said that the boxes where actually made at GM's plant in saginaw called steering gear. Its actaully delphi now. But when dodge outsorced the work they only made one part number for the whole assembly so you cannot get rebuild parts for them at all. who makes a replacement?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Auto parts stores sell them (autozone, advanced auto, etc.)

Hows the steering stabalizer? Have you removed that and tried steering it?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Downriver0

I checked Napa here in town and it's about $220 for the box. I haven't had time to check on one at the junk yard. I just got back from camping and took the truck putting about 270 miles on it. The steering pump did improve the problem a little. The truck does wander as if the steering is loose. I've read some previous threads where guys are saying that changing out the stabilizer has improved their problem at all.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:32 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I just got a new one for my truck at Advance auto parts and it was 170.00 plus refundable 125.00 core charge. It is super easy to change and wow what a difference. Mine was hard steering in both directions and wandered all over the road(scary wander). Put in the new box and tada drives like a truck off the showroom floor. Hope that helps.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:44 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Downriver0
I've read some previous threads where guys are saying that changing out the stabilizer has improved their problem at all.

My thoughts on the steering stabalizer were that maybe it is shot/blown and that is why it is hard to steer only one way (to the right). I agree they are not really needed... they kinda hind any steering issues that are present (along with dampening the steering). I took mine off my truck a few years back when it started puking fluid (which it was a rancho unit - lasted about 8 years) and I couldnt even tell I removed it.

I wouldnt bother purchasing a steering gear from a junk yard unless you know for sure it came from a truck with low miles. Lets face it, these steering boxes are junk, and most likely the ones in the junk yard as well. I say purchase a new one from the parts store with a warranty, then your covered. I bet it would steer like new again too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering problem