2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shift points

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
jswain
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift points

I want to change the trans shift points in my 98 ram. Specifically, I want to change the timing of tc lockup. I want it to lockup at say 55 rather than 45 and unlock the same. I bought a 94 Z71 for 500 dollars and driving it has really made me notice how the dodge's factory shift points really lug the motor in the 40-50 mph range. I realize I could turn the OD off and on with the button, but I'd prefer changing the shift points. So, I've seen a TSB 18-006-02 Rev. B which sounds good. I think its for 2000-2001 trucks and may or may not include the death flash. Also, might not find a dealer close who is familiar with it or wants to fool with my old *** truck. I know most folks on here like the SCT tuner, but does it alter the OD shift points? If not, what's my next best option? Honestly, I'm not thrilled with the idea of advancing the spark, etc on a truck with 180k miles, but changing the OD shift timing would fix the only real complaint I have with the truck. Anyone have any info on the TSB or had a good experience with a tuner changing OD shifting?

Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Since these trans arent fully electronic I'm not sure if they can raise the shift points that much. Might be able to adjust the tv cable not sure though. Where abouts in MS you live?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The shift points are not programmable like on other vehicles. An SCT or Super Chips may change it slightly, but you can not alter them in any way yourself. Except for the TV cable adjustment, that has been pointed out.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you change your gears it can have almost the same effect.... And larger than stock tires with stock gears makes the sluggishness worse. 4.10 gears would make all the shiftpoints a bit lower in gear ratio and give more power and torque transfer to the ground.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-31-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:01 PM
jswain
Veteran

I live in New Albany, MS, between Memphis, TN and Tupelo, MS on hwy. 78.

Yeah, the TV cable adjustment is right as it is. I've got it set to shift a little firmer probably than the stock setting, actually, but that seems to do very little if anything to alter TC lockup / overdrive.

The gears would work for sure. It's got 3.55 gears with 265 tires (which is the same size that came on the truck new). The other shift points (1-2nd, 2-3rd) I'm fine with. The truck just seems to want to get into overdrive early and if you drop to 40-45 mph on the hwy and have to speed up, you either have to really mash the gas to get it to drop out of OD, or reach up and flip the OD off on the gearshift (what I normally do), or just lug the motor up to 50 mph or so before it takes off. I assume it's normal for the transmission to operate that way, seems to have always done it as far as I can remember. I've just recently driven some other vehicles (fords and chevy's of the same era) and they drop out of OD with a lot less effort. If I could reprogram it to lock up at 55 and unlock at 55, it would alleviate the problem. Has anybody had any good experience with a tuner correcting this? Or am I the only one that gets aggravated when you have to slow down on the highway? I'm assuming other folks trucks do the same thing. Need to find another Dodge to drive and see if it acts the same I guess.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

Mine does the same other than having kick the accelerator hard. If I ease it down it just unlock the converter, a little more it goes to second, hard and it goes to first.

I screwed up! Ease it down and converter unlocks and shifts to third. Kick it and it goes to second.
I tried it today and proved I had told you all wrong.

Last edited by charlie1935; 02-02-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
jswain
Veteran

Originally Posted by charlie1935
Mine does the same other than having kick the accelerator hard. If I ease it down it just unlock the converter, a little more it goes to second, hard and it goes to first.
Yours sounds more like what I would consider normal. Mine just about will not unlock the converter without going to 3rd, unless I slow down to the point where the converter automatically unlocks. Say if I slow down to 45 (converter is still locked) and start easing down on the throttle, it will lug the engine in OD until I mash down probably 2/3 or 3/4 to the floor, then it will unlock the TC and immediately shift to 3rd. Did it before it was rebuilt, and has done it both times after being rebuilt. I would think we basically have the same trans, mine being a 98 and yours 97. The second time it was rebuilt, I was assured they used all new sensors, selenoids, everything, but I wonder if the sensor/selenoid that controls TC lock/unlock has been re-used and is becoming less sensitive. What is that particular item called and would I have to drop the trans to replace it? Might be worth a shot if all I have to do is drop the pan...

I think I saw yours was a 96 on second look. Yours would be all hydraulically controlled, I guess. Might be the difference in the way they act.

Last edited by jswain; 01-31-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What size tires do you have, and what gears?

Couple things will unlock TCC, Throttle Position, Engine load, and the brake switch. You might try tightening up the TV cable a bit, to give you quicker downshifts.....

Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jswain
Yours sounds more like what I would consider normal. Mine just about will not unlock the converter without going to 3rd, unless I slow down to the point where the converter automatically unlocks. Say if I slow down to 45 (converter is still locked) and start easing down on the throttle, it will lug the engine in OD until I mash down probably 2/3 or 3/4 to the floor, then it will unlock the TC and immediately shift to 3rd. Did it before it was rebuilt, and has done it both times after being rebuilt. I would think we basically have the same trans, mine being a 98 and yours 97. The second time it was rebuilt, I was assured they used all new sensors, selenoids, everything, but I wonder if the sensor/selenoid that controls TC lock/unlock has been re-used and is becoming less sensitive. What is that particular item called and would I have to drop the trans to replace it? Might be worth a shot if all I have to do is drop the pan...

I think I saw yours was a 96 on second look. Yours would be all hydraulically controlled, I guess. Might be the difference in the way they act.
96 is a 46re (electronically controlled) ...94 -95 were 46rh transmissions.
Hey You, he mentions the tire size and gears are both stock above..
mine behaves the same way before and after rebuild....I thought it was normal

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-31-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: shift points