DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   I Need my odometer to stop for a few miles! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/214409-i-need-my-odometer-to-stop-for-a-few-miles.html)

klaymonster 09-17-2009 12:56 AM

I Need my odometer to stop for a few miles!

I screwed up at work. I've got a 113 mile per day route and a log book thats not turning out that way!(too many side stops/burger runs!) Does anyone know if the '01 Ram 1500 truck will still run and drive with the vehivle speed sensor disconnected? Actually im not a natural born dodge man so maybe these trucks dont count miles using that sensor, but any insight or ideas how to drive without the truck counting the miles i'd definately like to hear! I'm open to just about anything at this point!

Thanks!!

p.s. i've already looked into shaving miles using better routes/shortcuts and its already optimal as is! no luck!

jasonw 09-17-2009 01:07 AM

Welcome to the forums!

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe the mileage on the 1998+ trucks are inside the PCM. So short of hacking that and reprogramming...

Not to mention, IIRC, its illegal.

Laramie1997 09-17-2009 01:19 AM

It will pitch an error code.

How BIG of a difference are we talking about?

dhvaughan 09-17-2009 07:24 AM

the mileage is stored in both the odometer/cluster and in the pcm. it requires a scanner tool to investigate the pcm, but if your truck is in a big fleet, then your own company might have the tools to notice.

you can try unplugging the rear speed sensor and the transmission speed sensor. i don't know if that will accomplish what you want or not. it'll probably set off a cel, which you could clear with more effort.

there's probably not any good way to cover up your mileage discrepancy, other than taking a few detours, wrong turns, or getting lost a couple of times.

zman17 09-17-2009 07:30 AM

Park down the street and use your own vehicle until the miles are made up.LOL

aim4squirrels 09-17-2009 07:42 AM

is that a 1 or a 7 in the log book...?

;)

Aubrey 09-17-2009 10:18 AM

I don't think you can disconnect a speed sensor and drive normally. At least on my 95 if it is not getting a signal it goes into limp mode and you can't get over 45mph. Not sure on your OBDII and trans.

Bob5151 09-17-2009 12:22 PM

Stop doing personal stuff on company time?

Silver_Dodge 09-17-2009 12:56 PM

The mileage is only stored on a chip in the odometer, not in the PCM (assuming you have the digital odometer). The PCM only increments it, but it has no memory of the mileage. I know this to be true for several reasons. I have swapped out PCM's on numerous occasions, and it never affects the odometer. Two, I have installed 2 different odometer clusters into my truck to see if I could get a tach to work, and it worked perfect with the new odometer readings. And lastly, that is the way the functionality is described in the Chrysler service manual.

Basically, you are asking us to tell you how to do something that is both illegal and basically unethical. I'm pretty sure I know a way that you could do this because I read it on another forum, but i'm not going down that road. Sorry.

95MaroonMonster 09-17-2009 01:00 PM

stop eating burger king