2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sub question and wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 04:36 AM
beaver2low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub question and wiring question

i am thinkin about putting two 10s under the back bench in my truck. what kind of spacers should i use. and the wiring question is i ran the wires under the carpet down the drivers side. i am upgrading to a bigger amp and amp wiring and where should i run it with the bigger gage wire i have.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i ran my wires under the plastic kick panel on the drivers side. i would think they would rub too much being under the carpet. my wire is 5ga.
what do you mean by spacers? i have some 12" jbl speakers in sealed truck boxes and they are sitting flat on the floor, facing the floor with the small end of the box under the seat and the big end out in the open.

if you are going to get some boxes that won't fit under the seat then you can raise it up a few inches with some square tubing (or flat steel stacked) and longer bolts between the seats mounting brackets and the body.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can run your wires under the carpet just fine. You just don't want to run it down an obvious wear area like across the driver's side floor or something like that. My RCAs are running under the carpet straight down the middle across the trans hump in the floor. My Speaker wire runs down both kick panels just like Sheriff is talking about.

Rule one with running wire though, keep the speaker wire and the RCAs as far away as possible from the power wire. By doing this, you run less risk of getting feed back from the engine bay. Specifcally when you upgrade to a larger gauge copper spark plug wire.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:37 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

Yea second on running the power cables on the driver side and the rca wires on the passenger side. I would recommend running them under the carpet under the molding. I have problems running them right under the carpet because of the adhesive used. I have one good 10" with ample space center back.

Remember the rule...don't try to fix a 10" foot (sub) in a 8" shoe (box). Let is have ample room.

If I get off my duff I will post pics of what I have. I placed my amp under the center front seat.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM
terranova
Professional

I use 6ga wire to my sub (don't ask me why -_-) but in your case you can use either 12 or 14 maybe even 16 depending on how much power you have. Do you use your backseat for anything? It's so hard to make a decent system work in these trucks, I lifted my seat with a 2x4 and drilled bigger holes so my amps wouldn't be sandwiched between 2 carpets and have no room for air circulation which in turn would lead to overheating. Honestly I've gotten to the point where I just made a box that sits behind my seat on the back seat and takes up half the seat since no one can sit behind me anyways (6'6") It's less hassle but if you use your seats then it's not for you. Here is a short video of my old sub setup, I need to take a new one as the sub I have now is A LOT louder than that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlH3FiMJyM0

Old 09-23-2009, 02:32 PM
beaver2low

i got two kids that i haul around so what im thinking is that i am goin to give up my 1 twelve and go with two tens under the backseat and raise it up to fit it

Old 09-23-2009, 02:37 PM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by beaver2low
i got two kids that i haul around so what im thinking is that i am goin to give up my 1 twelve and go with two tens under the backseat and raise it up to fit it
It should work. If you can find the right box. But still even lifting the seat a couple inches doesn't really give you much play room.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM
beaver2low

would fiberglass work too

Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM
terranova
Professional

Originally Posted by beaver2low
would fiberglass work too
Yes but it is a very expensive option. Unless you can do it yourself I really wouldn't recommend it.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM
beaver2low

yes i know it expensive but it also gives it a cleaner look

Quick Reply: sub question and wiring question