2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dumb q about 5.9 timing cover and wp

Old 01-16-2022, 12:26 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 122 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Dumb q about 5.9 timing cover and wp

If you're not replacing the water pump can it stay attached and just remove timing cover and pump as one?

Do some of the wp bolts also serve to anchor the cover? It looks to me like they're all tapped into the cover?

edit: gasser of course, not CTD

Old 01-16-2022, 01:27 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
If you're not replacing the water pump can it stay attached and just remove timing cover and pump as one?

Do some of the wp bolts also serve to anchor the cover? It looks to me like they're all tapped into the cover?

edit: gasser of course, not CTD

Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be. Both parts separate are lighter than both together. Yes, some water pump bolts go through the timing cover. Besides, while it's off, you can check for stains from leaks at the weep hole on the pump. You can replace it while everything is apart and save yourself the trouble of pulling it twice. Keep in mind, some of the bolts go through into water passages. You need some sealant on them to prevent leaks.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

You wouldn't be able to see weep hole if pump was still attached to cover and on the bench?

Pump is less than a year, seems wasteful to replace it.

Timing cover is Al, no? How heavy can it plus pump be?

I definitely remember a couple of those bolts pissing coolant on other Magnums, no worries there.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:10 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

You wouldn't be able to see weep hole if pump was still attached to cover and on the bench?

Pump is less than a year, seems wasteful to replace it.

Timing cover is Al, no? How heavy can it plus pump be?

I definitely remember a couple of those bolts pissing coolant on other Magnums, no worries there.

Trying to cut corners usually means you have to go in again. Several hours aggravation for no gain. If the pump is only a year old, especially if it was a new, not rebuilt unit, you don't need to replace it if it isn't leaking. You absolutely, positively WANT to replace the bypass hose. I have never replaced one that failed when it was 75 degrees on a nice sunny day with pretty gals in shorts wandering around. They always fail when it's 30 degrees and the weather is nasty and you have to get the equipment back in service A.S.A.P.

It's been a while since I did a small block Mopar water pump but I think all the bolts hold it to the timing cover. Even if it would come off together, I'd worry about leaks at the pump/cover interface. Just spend the 10 minutes to pull the pump off the cover. The bypass hose will take longer to get off.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

At least four of the bolts go thru the timing cover, into the block. Probably more. Which ones? That becomes the question. You are going to end up removing most of the water pump bolts anyway, and your gasket set likely comes with a water pump gasket. Just pull it first, and call it a day.

The following users liked this post:
racerxv6 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 10:13 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

From looking at pics it's the four at the water passages. 2 left, 2 right. There's 7 total IIRC so it leaves 3

We'll see, hopefully I have time today

Old 01-17-2022, 09:12 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

This is what you're facing if you opt to leave the wp. I dunno, doesn't look too scary to me?

Done. I didn't encounter any drama but maybe I just don't like drama. Seems to me the weep hole would be just as (in)visible as if the pump were removed, but my contacts are -9.50 so it could just be my crappy eyesight

Old 01-17-2022, 09:15 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

From what I can tell, the only argument in this thread that might hold water (pun for sure) is concern about leaks after disturbing 4 of 7 wp bolts:

A few ounces under 13 lbs. Didn’t strike me as heavy and I'm not exactly a "tough guy"

Old 01-17-2022, 09:19 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

This is what you're facing if you opt to leave the wp. I dunno, doesn't look too scary to me?

Done. I didn't encounter any drama but maybe I just don't like drama. Seems to me the weep hole would be just as (in)visible as if the pump were removed, but my contacts are -9.50 so it could just be my crappy eyesight

I always clean and paint parts I pull. It just makes for a neater repair and with the pump on, it looks like you may have trouble changing the front seal. I believe your pulley will come off, either it pops off or unscrews. You should be able to see the weep hole when it's off.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

New seal pressed in easily with the Dake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumb q about 5.9 timing cover and wp