2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'94 Dodge Ram 1500, engine bogs down.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Eagilejin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 Dodge Ram 1500, engine bogs down.

Alright, so I'll start my story. I'm a entry level tech for marine engines, which means I know enough to get myself into trouble, and sometimes out of trouble. I do know this could easy become a big problem and cost a lot of money.

Anyways, here is the issue. Was driving today doing about 55, I noticed I'm losing speed, so I hit the gas. Nothing happened. I pump the pedal, no response. I floor it, the engine bogs. So, my first guess was "Great, I'm out of gas."

I pull over and call people, eventually my sister shows up. Skip ahead an hour to where I am able to put some gas in it. Crank her up, and she runs like utter crap.

I leave her idling and pop the hood, check the oil, transmission fluid, water etc etc. Look for anything obvious see nothing.

She seems to be missing almost, but not quite. I know losing one cylinder would not do this to a V8. Those things can run on 7 and be happy about life.

So, I get in it and drop it into gear, she is slow to accelerate, I give her any amount of gas besides a hair on the pedal she bogs down and either backfires or lean pops. I eventually get up to 40, which took awhile and make it to my moms where the truck is now parked.

No check engine light came on at all, and no new lights on the dash are on. My first thought would be a fuel issue somewhere, and of course to my luck the pump and filter are inside the dang gas tank.

A small note - I've always had issues with my fuel gauge acting up, a few days ago it complete dropped below empty and now refuses to move.

I'm going to start troubleshooting tomorrow, luckily I have a few diagnostic tools to help me. But, any ideas or questions or assumptions would help.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

first off you might want to check your fuel filter, or fuel pump. if one of them was about to die it would starve the engine of gas and make it run like crap. And that might be the reson for your fuel gauge failing.

You might also want to check your CAT, when mine went out i was going about 75 then it bogged way way down, i pulled over and tried to get going and a put her to the floor and got to about 15 mph in 100 feet so i pulled her back over.

On your truck its a 94 so it will not give you a check engine light when your cat goes bad becuase you only have one o2 sensor in front of the cat and not behind like mine

Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

Also if your cat did get clogged get in your truck with the windows up and put her in neutral and give her some gas. If you can hear a loud rush of air almost like wind hitting your truck then that is definatley your cat.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:45 PM
fordman39
Default i have 94 dodge ram 1500 v8

it will start fine runs ok wen u go down the road it just shuts off no warnings or nothing i replaced all the sensor n i have no cat on my truck tho n not throwing any codes at all i changed rotor cap pickup crank senors tps iac o2 new batt n still does same if i wait 5 mins she restarts n go n then 1 min later shuts off i was thinking its fuel pump tho but starts right up tho any ideas plz

Old 06-15-2014, 06:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

PCM is about all that's left.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:55 AM
fordman39
Default i have 94 dodge ram 1500 v8

ok i do not have a cat on my truck took it off 2 yrs ago n put in a y-pipe n im think it could be bad o2 sensor wen u step on gas pedal n let off it cuts down n almost dies any ideas would be great ful i put lots of money in it

Quick Reply: '94 Dodge Ram 1500, engine bogs down.